Chapter Sixty-Seven

—The Sanctuary—

A warmth surrounded them the moment they entered the Sanctuary. Emerald aether sparkled above a verdant landscape, trees and hills stretching as far as the eye could see, a haven of life amidst the destruction outside. The warmth seeped deep into their bones, instantly healing every wound they had received in their fight against Eivør. Baloren closed his eyes at the sensation. They hadn't been far removed from the Sanctuary when Cara died. If they had just—

Idelle's startled gasp drew his attention. Standing nearby, a short distance away, was the woman in the red dress Baloren had seen throughout their journey. No. That wasn't quite right. He had only seen her some of the time. Other times, it was a younger looking girl, about Ori's age, who looked the same, but who held Excalibur. He had trusted the other one because of the blade she wielded, but this one—he wasn't certain he trusted the power she exuded.

The woman said nothing, instead pointing ahead in the direction they needed to go, following in Lulu's wake. And then, she disappeared leaving them to their decision. But there was no choice to make. Lulu had already made it for them, and they would not abandon her now.

And so, they walked on.

*************

One step further and the Sanctuary began to transform around them. The emerald aether swirled and shattered into images and figures that followed them as they walked. Idelle couldn't tear her eyes away. The aether conjured Aer'Avyn's form. She walked and talked around them, though she never acknowledged their presence in any way. It was a few more steps before Idelle realized what it was they were seeing. Aer'Avyn's memories.

*************

"You are such a downer!" Aer'Avyn laughed as she bounced on her toes beside a man that appeared to be the King of Bones, except this man had shortly cut black hair and aquamarine eyes rather than a sinister orange. He huffed unhappily, pinching the bridge of his nose in annoyance as Aer'Avyn poked his shoulder. "Come on! It's going to be fun! I promise."

"Hero, tell me, what exactly is fun about exploring a musty old tomb that's been hidden on the edge of the universe for untold millennia? Certain death?"

"Uh-huh! And all the dust and dead bodies and puzzles that will take hours to solve! What's not fun about that?"

The King of Bones looked up at her, flabbergasted. "We have very different definitions of fun."

"Look," Aer'Avyn smiled sweetly, stepping closer as that she was nearly pressed against him. "You come with me this time, and tomorrow night, I will spend the entire evening with you, quiet as a mouse, as you read through one of your horrendously boring tomes on magical theory."

The King of Bones tutted softly, though there was affectionate amusement in his eyes. "As if you could ever be quiet for an entire evening. Besides, I can think of far more interesting things I'd rather do with you alone for an entire evening."

Aer'Avyn blushed a deep shade of red. "You know, if the Creator ever finds out what we're doing..."

The King of Bones slipped a hand around her neck, drawing her close. "Let him find out."

He kissed her slow and sweet.

*************

The vision faded and Idelle felt a heavy sigh leave her. The King of Bones had loved her dearly. It was clear why he had wanted to protect this place so fiercely. Idelle felt a surge of anger toward Lulu. To destroy this place, to destroy the only memory of Aer'Avyn left to the King of Bones, seemed cruel despite all he had done. She could not deny that there was a certain logic to Lulu's madness. Virmira Tanadall would not stop coming after her. She wanted the Sanctuary, yes, but Idelle knew it was beyond that. Even should the Sanctuary be destroyed, Idelle doubted Virmira Tanadall would decide to just leave her alone.