Chapter Thirty-Nine

—Shadowlands, Valdornne—

A miracle. That was the only way Idelle could describe it. Uncle Baloren had slumped to the ground so suddenly, his face so pale, and his heart beating so weakly that Idelle had been certain he was about to die. They had rushed him back to Reva's house, where the witch had begun immediately brewing some sort of potion to try and return his strength. But the potion was taking too long, and as the seconds ticked by, Uncle Baloren's death seemed more certain. Idelle had tried to heal him, but he had not responded to her efforts.

The Sanctuary, Reva explained, was responsible for his condition. When he had touched the barrier, the Sanctuary had claimed his life to help seal the breach. That had only made Lulu all the more certain that the Sanctuary needed to be destroyed, which in turn, had served only to kindle a vicious argument between Reva and Lulu that helped nothing and no one. Idelle had ignored them both, continuously trying to reach past the Grave magic that had sapped him of all strength. Nothing was working. She was not powerful enough.

And then, the miracle.

It happened, seemingly, in an instant. One moment, she felt Uncle Baloren's heart stutter to take its final beat, and then, he had taken in a deep, ragged breath as though he had just surfaced from beneath deep water. Something had healed him, though Reva could not explain what had done so. Idelle, however, suspected she knew the answer. Uncle Baloren's body had hummed with a thick layer of warm aether gently curling around his body as though a blanket to protect him from the cold hands of death. Reva hadn't been able to sense it, but Idelle reached out, her own aether running along the ethereal blanket. She didn't know how it was possible, but she had known instantly that, somehow, Ori had saved him.

That brush with death, however, was not so easily shaken off, despite Uncle Baloren's insistence that he was fine. Reva hadn't taken no for an answer, insisting he remain in bed resting for the next few days so she could observe him. Uncle Baloren had only agreed once Idelle had gently pushed him back toward the bed. They were still uncertain of what their next move was to be, and so, they could afford a few days to rest themselves after fighting Eivør's men in the forest.

Idelle wasn't certain what they should do, but the decision, ultimately, would not be hers to make. Someone else would decide that, be it Uncle Baloren or Lulu. Their differences of opinion regarding the Sanctuary would not be so easily resolved, she knew. Neither was likely to bend to the other's point of view. That argument had persisted for the last day and a half, itself exhausting each time the topic was broached. Idelle was tired of listening to the arguments and had excused herself to return to the Sanctuary's barrier, hoping for some time to think.

Once Uncle Baloren had stabilized, Reva had reported to the King of Bones of the situation at the Sanctuary. More Umbra now guarded the place where Eivør's men had opened the second breach. Monsters that Idelle seen attack in the most gruesome fashion, who had terrified her each time she saw them, ghouls, wraiths, and all manner of other nightmares. They were docile now, only sparing her a curious glance as they continued to guard the perimeter of the Sanctuary. One monster, something small and unknown, made its way to her hesitantly. Idelle hesitated, uncertain of its intention. It was a really rather ugly little thing, its bald head dripping with some sort of dark red viscous fluid. It regarded her closely, and Idelle leaned down, fingers stretching out toward it. The monster leaned in, its small eyes closing at her touch. Her heart melted a little at the sight. Not dangerous, then. At least, not at the moment. Satisfied with the small pat, the little monster looked at her once more before it trotted off toward the others.