Chapter Seven-The Unwelcomed Memories

Why would she be glaring at me like that?

"Hey. Hey Emma. Look, we just have a couple of questions to ask-" Loretta started but Emma cut her off by turning from me to her and asking.

"What questions? What did you hear?" Emphasizing on the hearing part, she turned right back to me and shot an accusing glare.

I was feeling weird.

The two girls followed her gaze to me, burning with confusion. I stared silently and with narrowed eyes, mind running a mile, at Emma, scrutinizing and trying to fathom the reason behind her hostility.

"Who said anything about hearing something?" Shay asked just as confused. Emma rolled her eyes at us.

"Oh don't act daft with me. Isn't this about what she'd seen in that hallway a few days ago?" It was quite comical how Lore and Shay's faces screwed into an oh expression. I didn't react because I still didn't understand why she was mad.

Oh was I supposed to keep it to myself?

"You know what bothers me though? She sees a student with a pissed off lecturer in a deserted hallway and all she does is run-"

"Emma-" I finally speak, cutting her off and trying to justify why I ran.

So that was what she was mad at.

"-no you stop it. Stop right there! You don't get to act concerned right now-"

"She didn't think you were in danger!" Shay cut her off in an equally hostile tone. Emma deflated.

What was she trying to do? Veer us from the path of thinking she had a relationship going with a lecturer to a poor student who was cornered by a lecturer?

I knew what I saw that day. Fray looked angry, spitting out words but it was the look Emma gave him that pushed me to that conclusion.

Professor Fray stepped forward after spitting something out and Emma stepped back. She looked up with a sultry look before she caught my eyes. I quickly turned and bolted, running with all my might away from that disturbing scene.

"What did she think then?" She straightened into an emotionless tone and face. I narrowed my eyes at the reaction. Loretta made to speak but I covered her hand with mine, stopping her.

I had a hunch. Emma was up to something.

"Forget about what I thought for a second. What were you doing going to a deserted hallway with him?" I asked and she turned to me.

"What makes you think I went there willing?" She retorted.

"So he dragged you screaming and kicking? And in this big campus no one saw nor heard you?" I pushed.

"I-I couldn't scream. He told me not to scream!" She looked nervous. Uncertain.

"And you didn't." I concluded, nodding. She knew we didn't believe her from the look in her eyes.