Chapter Eight-The Pretense And Strange Encounters

Loretta was a mess

Loretta was a mess.

I just had to take one look at her and the thought came invading my head. Probably because I knew what messy looked like. What it felt like.

Her naked legs (she was in shorts) stretched out onto the driveway as she sat at the end of it. She looked around at anything but nothing mumbling words to herself underneath her breath and looking heartbreakingly sad.

Red solo cups surrounded her and the rest of the driveway but she didn't mind. She was absentmindedly kicking some.

I parked a few feet away and stepped out, hastening to my friend. She looked up and lit up at my presence. She held out both hands up to me as she gave a cheeky smile.

"Oh hey! You came!" I grasped her fingers and tried to pull her up. She playfully tugged and I went hurtling into her chest.

"Oof!" I let out but Loretta giggled. She held me to her chest and I hovered awkwardly over her until I decided to go on the knees, allowing her to still hold me.

"Did you want a drink?! Let's go ge-" she pulled away, making to get up but I held her down.

"That's enough drinking for one night." I told.

"But you-"

"I don't want." I said gently and tried helping her up again. She was unrelenting, her bottom still plastered on the floor. I sighed and joined her.

We'd just talk for sometime and go.

She turned to me and smiled. I couldn't for the love of me understand why it'd look an envious smile though.

"You're always good huh? The holier than thou-"

"Loretta." I pushed through a gulp.

"-never parties. Never drinks. Got a big heart. Always smiling and laughing and being our fucking beacon through the darkest night-"

"Loretta!" I warned, the guilt getting the better of me. I was a liar.

A damn liar!

I made people feel insecure with an identity I dressed and polished up for myself. What a damn good liar.

What a damn hurting good liar!

"-but you know what? You're not just that. You couldn't just be that. You're a fucking human too and you go through shit too and you have secrets too and..." she trailed off, the possessed look fading from her eyes. She slumped down, leaning sideways into me. Like an exhaustion from a high.

Like contention from a truth.

"Loretta. What is happening with you?" I asked gently, raising a hand to brush her sandy curls back.

"I...I'm falling out of love with Jasper." She said quietly and I barely contained my gasp. She pulled away to look at my face. Whatever she searched for I had no idea.