Chapter Nine-The First Step Forward, The Twice Step Back

I was stuck in an unknown memory

I sat on a couch with an unrecognizable boy as we flipped through channels, looking for something to watch. We finally settled on a weird movie where a little girl watched a little boy interact with a group of boys in a park.

And goodness did she look oddly familiar.

She heard the boy slap one boy's back and say "Buddy." She scrunched her nose thoughtfully and ran to her circle of little girls. She looked at her closest friend out of them-the beautiful blonde- and mimicked the little boy from earlier.

"Buddy." Slapping her back and all, grinning proudly, watching hopefully for her response. The blonde turned to her and giggled shaking her head.

"That's for boys Sia!"

Sia?

Little girl turned to the same little boy seeing him laughing and running around with his friends. She stood up from beside her friends and ran to him.

"Buddy!" She called out to him. He stopped and turned to her, smiling. He walked over to her and and bent over, grasping his knees just so he could look at her face.

"Why aren't you playing with your friends?" He asked.

"Buddy!" The little girl called again and the boy chuckled through his confusion.

"I like Buddy! I called Anna buddy but she said it's for boys and I really want to say Buddy and call someone Buddy so can I call you Buddy?!" She jumped up and down energetically as she spoke and the boy had his arms out to catch her if she ever tripped.

"Okay chatterbox! Relax." He said just as she jumped into knocking him on the chin. He grasped his chin in pain and the excitement left the girl.

"I'm sorry-" she started but he cut her off by tugging her to his chest.

"You need to stop jumping up and down chatterbox. You might fall and get hurt." The little girl mumbled another sorry into his chest and he kissed her head like he loved to do.

"And you can call me Buddy!" He added to cheer her up.

"You'll be my Buddy? Really?" The excitement was back in her voice.

"I'll be your Buddy." He nodded and just then the tv went off, the room suddenly dark.

Not the darkness again!

I turned to my side, expecting to see the unknown boy. He was nowhere near me nor could I see him anywhere. Before I could control myself, that very name escaped my lips.

"Buddy!" It was a desperate cry that was met with absolutely silence. No response.

I hated the silence.