Chapter 9

Cherry's p.o.v

And that's when I remembered that I don't know how to swim.

I was underwater. The blue liquid started staining with red from the blood of our open wounds. Ash was still holding onto me. He opened his eyes and motioned me to follow him. I opened my mouth to speak, forgetting that we were submerged underwater. Water enters my mouth; I choke. I inhaled the water; it was filling up my lungs. They burned and wheezed for air.

Ash pulled me closer to him and pinched my nose, preventing me from inhaling any more water. I shook my head, desperately tugging at his jacket as we both sunk to the bottom. Everything hurt; it felt like the end. But then he grabbed me by the chin and kissed me hard, giving me some air, enough for me to make it to the other side.

He held my waist as he swam for both of us. I tried mimicking his movement; it helped a bit. Another body came into view. It was Shorter. He grabbed me out of Ash's grasp and aided me out of the water.

I gasped for air once I reached the surface. I felt dizzy and passed out on the ground. I heard cries from the people around me, but I fell into a state of unconsciousness. I was floating away from reality.

Ash's p.o.v

I heard shots being fired behind us. She cried out in pain. My heart clenched. I held her tighter and said, ''Hold on, just hold on. We're almost there. I'm going to jump''.

I pushed myself off the bridge and into the water, holding her fragile body close to mine. When we hit the water, I tugged her, motioning to swim after me. She looks baffled and opens her mouth to say something. I pinched her nose, forcing her not to inhale.

She tugged at my jacket desperately. She looked broken and in despair. That's when it hit me.

She doesn't know how to swim.

Immediately, I grab her face and kiss her long and hard, giving her some of the air I had. Then I pull her close to me and swim for the both of us. I don't know where I got the strength from.

But despite my shoulder that was screaming in pain, I swam. I felt Cherry mimicking my movements; it helped us get to the other side. I saw Shorter leap into the water and help Cherry out.

When I got out, she passed out on the ground. It didn't look like she was breathing. I rush over and kneel over her body.

''Is she breathing?!''

''She's not breathing''.

''Is she....dead''

I push away the chatter and perform CPR. I push down on her chest, 100 times per minute. I hear cracks as a few of her ribs break during the process. I bend down to open her mouth and blow some air through it. I repeat the process feeling desperate as the seconds pass.

I feel a hand on my shoulder, telling me to let go.

She can't be dead.

She can't die this easily.

Her body shifts under my palms, she starts coughing up the water in her system. I let out a shaky breath I didn't know I was holding and hugged her. I let out tears while everyone around me started praising God.

With her in my arms, we run away from the river to a safer place, A place where we can tend our wounds.

*

Cherry's p.o.v

I sit on the couch sipping hot tea. My forearm and wrist were bandaged. My shirt was ripped in half. I look down at it sadly. It was my favourite shirt...

''You idiot. YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO SWIM?!'', yelled out Shorter in rage. I hung my head. It was embarrassing not knowing how to swim. 

But it was never like I had the chance to learn. I was busy being handled like a mere object between grown men. Where was the time to plunge into a pool of water for fun?

''Shorter, calm down. She must be in shock. She almost drowned'', said Ibe. Shorter hugged me tightly, cursing at the ability I don't possess. I pat his back, ''I'm not going to die that easily''.

I stir in Shorter's hold when I make eye contact with Ash. He was bandaged at the shoulder. He started to head out to the roof. I gently push Shorter aside and follow him.

He was sitting over the edge, his feet dangling a few hundred feet above the ground. I sit down beside him, groaning at my wounded waist. I looked at the view in front of us. The sun was setting.

''I'm sorry'', he said softly. I look over at him. He was looking at me with tears in his eyes. ''Why are you apologizing Aslan?'' I ask while shifting closer to him and holding his hand.

He intertwined his fingers with mine.

''I forgot about the fact that you couldn't swim. You could've died. I thought I lost you'', he said while his voice cracked.

I sigh as I envelop him in a hug. He continues to sob silently. Tears stream down my face when I hear his pained sobs. ''Isn't life a live or die situation? You saved me. That's what matters. I wouldn't be here, hugging you, if you didn't do anything. You didn't listen to opposing cries from the guys. I'm thankful for that.''

''I lost Griffin. I don't what I would do if I lost you''.

He continued sobbing into my lap, a couple of hundred feet above the busy streets. 

Edit : ITS BEEN A WHILE HIIII EVRRYONE. I've been so busy but here's a chapter I has saved back then. I might start writing again? Should I? I'll have to catch up on banana fish again. Its been a while

 Its been a while