His Mistake

"You really loved her didn't you?"

"Lacy, not now."

Lacy pouted. "But daddy!"

"Lacy, do you know why I tell you all those stories at bedtime?"

"Not really."

"Come here."

Lacy walked forward and allowed her father to seat her on his lap. Her feet dangled in the air as she looked up at the still taller man. She smiled at him and he smiled back.

"Your mother was my best friend Lacy. She was the love of my life. The more you grow the more you look like her and I can't help but think about our time together."

"Is that why you tell me the stories?" Lacy asked.

"That's part of the reason. Another part is so that you never forget who you are."

"But why don't I have the same name as you as well?"

"Because I don't want anyone to hurt you."

Lacy frowned. "But then I also don't have the same last name as mommy. And why would anyone hurt me? Did I do something that was bad?"

"You are just as curious as she was. The same reason applies. If anyone knew who you really were they would try to hurt you. They would do that to hurt me not because you did something."

"Is that why I can't be a Snape?" Lacy pouted.

"Yes. That is why you cannot be a Snape and why I couldn't give you your mommy's surname."

"But that's not fair!" Lacy huffed. "I'm not a bad girl!"

"I know Lacy. But you will always be my little girl and that is reason enough."

*~*~*~*~*

Severus Tobias Snape had not expected to be a father. Least of all to be handed a child from Voldemort himself. The fact that both the child and Voldemort were covered in blood was the only reason Severus had accepted the child at first. He was genuinely terrified about what Voldemort would do if he didn't take the child. He had never felt fear like that in his life.

He quickly grew quite attached to the child and it seemed that the child grew attached to him. It took him a year to figure out what he was doing. Another 6 months for recognition to set in. His heart almost shattered for a second time.

He stormed into Malfoy Manor and into the main study. The baby was attached to him like precious cargo. He was blinded by anger and hurt. He wasn't thinking about who he was talking to. He wasn't thinking about the consequences.

"What did you do?" Severus yelled.

"Watch yourself, Severus."

Severus swallowed a lump in his throat. "My apologies for my rudeness, my Lord. But I need to know... Where did you get this child?"

Voldemort stood from his seat. "If you must know."

He walked over to Severus and used his wand to remove the memory. Severus quickly found something for it to go in. Voldemort stared at Severus for several minutes before releasing the memory into the container.

"Be warned, Severus. I will not hesitate to kill you or the child I have so graciously left in your care. Do not return here unless I summon you." Voldemort growled out.

"Yes, my Lord." Severus answered.

He was gone in the blink of an eye. He swore himself for his reckless behavior. For putting the child in danger. But then again he has never been able to think straight when it came to Lily. His childhood friend and the love of his life.