Chapter 36

Suzie shivered and tugged her zipper up to the top. Turning to look out the window, she watched the snow-covered fields and trees as they went by. She wasn't surprised that she didn't recognize any of it. Except for driving to Tri-County and Baker House, she hadn't been anywhere but Evans Creek. She had no reason to explore and was too busy, anyway.

It started to snow and she shivered again.

"Jack?"

"What?"

"Could you turn the heater up a little? Please? It's a little cold back here."

Jack didn't reply, he just leaned forward and adjusted the dial. Suzie got the feeling that he was cross with her, although she couldn't imagine why he should be. She hadn't asked him to make the drive. He'd volunteered, just as he'd volunteered to stay with her after Dennis left.

Maybe it wasn't such a good idea to leave. Dennis would be worried if he got back and didn't find her. If they were taking a different road than the main roads, Dennis wouldn't see them on his way back either.

Maybe she should call Dennis.

"Jack?"

"What now?"

"I wondered if I could use your cell phone, please? We left so fast that I forgot to leave a note. If we don't see Dennis, he might get to the house and start to worry."

"I left a note. Don't worry."

"Oh?" She hadn't seen him leave a note, but then, she'd been rushing to get Brody ready to go. "Thanks."

She settled back again and pretty soon she fell asleep. She awoke when Brody cried.

"Mama." He whimpered. "Doggie Mama."

"Winchester had to stay home, baby." She yawned. "But you will get to see Baby Boy soon."

"Potty." Brody said.

She hadn't started toilet training yet. But she'd read a book that suggested she start using the word when she changed his diaper so that he could start to make the association. That way, when she introduced the training potty, he would already be familiar with the word and what it meant.

"Did you go potty in your diaper?" She frowned. She hated changing his diaper away from home. Changing tables were never clean and they were always cold. She had a changing pad folded in the diaper bag but...

"Potty." He repeated.

"Jack, I think we need to stop. Brody's made a mess in his diaper."

"There isn't anywhere to stop at the moment." He groused.

Suzie got the definite impression that he was irritated with them and was glad that she had avoided his advances.

...Mostly. It was hard not to like Jack Shepherd when he turned on the charm.

"If you stop the car, I can change him on the seat."

"I don't want to get—anything" he frowned "on the seat. There's a little gas station about twenty miles up the road. You can wait that long."

The way that he said it, dismissing her immediately after, left no room for a reply. She didn't have anything to say anyway.

She smiled to herself as she remembered that line from Bambi: If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all. Maybe that's why Jack was so quiet. Suzie turned her attention to keeping Brody happy and quiet until they reached the promised stop. She wouldn't have seen the sign if she hadn't been turned to look at Brody. A lump formed in her throat.