Part 5

"He's impossible to be around!" Raymond moaned to Damon when he checked in later that week.

"From what I hear, you seem to be coping very well." Damon laughed at the frown on Raymond's face.

"You must be listening to the wrong people then. If I don't punch him in the face, then he'll be very lucky!"

"Don't get so worked up Ray, you've only been there for a few weeks. Now, are we any closer to who's messing around there?" Damon leaned forward over his desk.

"Not yet. Whatever is going on is being hidden very carefully. Although, do you know anything about what was going on with Jackson when he was in grad school?" a frown marred his face. "There is something that I'm missing or that someone isn't telling me. Do you know anything?"

"I've not been told anything, but I know that you'll be able to get to the bottom of it." Damon smiled at him.

"I'm not so sure. I've scratching around a bit, but it's as if there is a part of Jackson's life that went missing. Or at least, doesn't seem to fit." he sighed.

"You worry too much, Ray." Damon got up from his desk, grinning. "Now, you'd better get back before that new boss of yours notices."

"The only thing he'd notice, is the fact that he wasn't getting what he wanted." he said derisively, also getting up to leave.

--

With a sigh, Raymond entered the Dealer's building. Making his way up to his desk, he was stopped by Tilly.

"What did you do?" she asked, her eyes wide.

"What do you mean?" he looked at her in confusion as they entered the lift.

"Jackson has been sitting quietly in his office while you've been away. He didn't even call me!" She shook her head in disbelief. "All by himself..." she said in wonder. "And nobody was fired! What did you do?"

"You're being dramatic. What's so strange about him doing his work?" he was still puzzled by her reaction.

"He never sits that long without a screaming match of some sort and none of his assistants would ever dare to leave for lunch."

"Now you're really being dramatic." he laughed at her, as the doors opened on his floor and he made to leave. " See you later." he cheerfully waived as the lift doors closed while she was still shaking her head.

As soon as he'd put his bag down, Jackson called him in. With another sigh, Raymond straightened his jacket and entered his office.

"I see you've been away again." he frowned looking up at Raymond who was standing with his usual smile in front of him.

"Yes, I had some urgent business to attend to." was all he said, waiting for an explosion from Jackson. He was surprised when Jackson said nothing, just bobbing his head briefly.

"From the reports I've been reading, it seems as if you know what you're doing..." he trailed off, as Raymond just nodded his head, not saying anything. "Maybe you should accompany me to all my meetings."

Raymond nodded again, knowing that this would also be a test. Groaning inwardly, he wondered when these tests would end. They were becoming more and more irritating and pointless.

--

The following morning, they were sitting in the third meeting of the day. Raymond had sat through the first two, watching Jackson in horror. He was a hothead who couldn't control his mouth or temper. At the start he just held his tongue, taking copious notes and watching the interactions between the people in the boardroom.