Part 41

After a week of sifting through information and following up on leads and hunches, Raymond found himself at Asuka's with a pastry in front of him. There was something about the friend that he was missing. No matter where he looked, he couldn't find a record of him ever being in the foster care system.

"Do you think you have a moment for me?" He stopped Asuka as she moved past his table.

"Sure, it's not every day that I can say Jackson's boyfriend is sitting in my coffee shop." she laughed. "So, what's up? Jackson giving you problems?"

"No, nothing like that. He's been the perfect gentleman if you can believe that. I wanted to ask if you knew anything about his friend, Kevin."

"Kevin? Where is all of this coming from? I haven't heard that name in a long time."

"Jackson was talking about him..." He sighed.

"Are you jealous?" She asked incredulously. "You don't need to be jealous of a ghost. Kevin died a long time ago." She reassured him, surprised that Raymond would be so insecure.

"What was he like?" he prompted quietly.

"He was a bit of a prat, to be honest, but he and Jackson were thick as thieves. I think it was the first time that Jackson had a real friend, besides me."

"You don't seem to like him much."

Yeah well, it was I feeling I got every time he was near me. When he laughed it felt more like a threat, you know? There were some nasty rumours going around back then as well. But with Jackson at his side, nobody dared to confront him." She shivered slightly.

"Sounds like a real character. Do you remember what people were saying about him back then?" He pressed.

"That was a while ago. I think it had to do with some loans he'd made. Some guys showed up after class one day and elbowed him off." She shook her head. "Why all this interest in him?"

"I was wondering what sort of friends Jackson had at uni, that's all. Although, this Kevin sounded like he was trouble. Do you know who his parents were or where he grew up?" This was a long shot, but it didn't hurt asking.

"No idea. He always talked about family in the south, near the coast or somewhere, but we never got to meet them. He was more like a leech than a friend if you ask me." She shrugged and got up. "Got to go, but bring the kid over sometime."

 ---

"Cook? Where are you?" Jackson listened briefly while scanning his surroundings. "Okay, I'm outside the building, I'll wait for you here." He cut the call and leaned against the car, waiting.

"What the hell? Is he for real right now?" Raymond was confused as he got into the cab and told the driver to hurry. He pulled a jacket out of his bag and quickly put it on. What would possess Jackson to pick him up without warning?

"Right here would be fine." He got out around the corner from the entrance and quickly walked to Jackson still leaning against the car, looking as impressive as always. He almost stumbled but righted himself quickly as he moved forward.

"This is an unexpected surprise." He reached up to kiss Jackson.

"A good one I hope, because I've got another surprise for you." He eagerly informed him, bouncing on the balls of his feet.

"Two in one day? I must have won the lottery!" He teased.

"Come on, get in!"

When they stopped at the lake, Jackson rushed to open the door for him, steering him to a carriage and white horses.

"What is this all about?" He asked in surprise, as he was helped onto the carriage.

"I thought we could do something a bit quieter together." He threw the blanket over their knees, as the carriage started moving, and pulled Raymond closer.

Raymond's heart immediately melted once he saw Jackson's surprise for him. It was such a sweet thing to think of. He didn't realise that he had a romantic side to him.

"Where have you been all week? You had your phone turned off."

"I had to work without interruptions, and phones are interruptions." He grinned.

"So, what were you doing?"

"Keeping the world safe one day at a time." He laughed, leaning his head against Jackson's shoulder. "Want to come and pick up Skye with me tomorrow?"

"Sure, why's that even a question?" He looked down at Raymond. "Shall we go and eat something?" He helped Raymond out of the carriage and walked toward one of the smaller restaurants, with Raymond beside him.

He sighed in happiness. So far the evening had gone smoothly. Better than he'd expected even. Walking next to Raymond he was aware of the warmth that seem to radiate from him. He glanced down at their hands that were swinging in time with each other. His head shot up when Raymond grabbed his hand and intertwined their fingers, a slow smile spreading over his face.

"Did you get any further with your investigation?" He asked lightly swinging their arms.

"That's work and I'd rather not talk about work. Anyway, I'm sure the dragon has kept you in check, so you wouldn't have gotten up to any trouble."

"Hey now, I could have been out partying for all you know." He grinned down at Raymond, stopping for a quick kiss. "In fact, I had a whole string of guys following me around!"

"That could have been the police," he taunted. "Come on, I can't wait to see what's next!" He tugged Jackson forward.