Part 16

The next morning, Raymond was nervously waiting for Jackson to arrive. He didn't know what to expect but had to admit that he was excited nonetheless. If only he could give in to Jackson, but life wasn't as easy. Jackson was still a mark that he needed to investigate and he didn't want any personal feelings getting in the way.

On the other hand, he could use Jackson's interest to get more information out of him. It would be so easy, like taking candy from a baby, but is that what he wanted? Did he want to stoop to that level to get information for his case?

He shook his head to clear it. No matter how easy it would be, it wouldn't be right to use Jackson like that. Who knew, as far as the evidence goes, he seemed to be the one who got the short end of the stick. The buzz of his phone brought him back to the present, and grabbing his coat, he rushed out to meet Jackson.

"Goddamn! Not again?! How the hell does this man look so perfect all the time?" Raymond whispered to himself as he watched Jackson lean against a low sports car with dark glasses covering his eyes. Raymond shaded his eyes from the bright sunlight behind Jackson, before pulling himself together. That man must be traveling with his own spotlight, that had to be it. There was no way anyone can look that good in natural light, right, Raymond thought as he quickly walked to the car.

"Are you ready for an adventure?" Jackson asked brightly, holding the door open for him.

"What's the adventure and where will it take place?" He asked as soon as Jackson started the car.

"Don't worry. It's nothing over the top. We're going to have something to eat first, though." He looked over at Raymond. "Build our strength for the day ahead." When Jackson named the restaurant they were going to, it sounded mildly familiar to Raymond, he just couldn't place it. Why did it sound so familiar, he wondered, sure that something important was connected to the restaurant.

"Am I going to get a smile at least?" Jackson asked, when they got out of the car, leaning down so that they were eye to eye, his head cocked to the side. Raymond had to smile at the face he was making, relaxing a bit. "Okay, now let's get back on track." He grinned.

The restaurant wasn't overly busy, so there was a low hum of conversation, which was punctuated by a sharp laugh. As they walked in Raymond remembered why the name was so familiar to him. Turning to Jackson, he pushed him back toward the door.

"Let's find somewhere else to eat." He mumbled, looking briefly over his shoulders, trying to make Jackson move.

"Cook, what's gotten into you?" he frowned.

"This is not a good place to be right now." He furiously whispered, making one more attempt to push Jackson toward the door.

"Ray? Is that you?" A portly man walked up to them, curiously trying to get a look at Raymond.

Biting his lip and closing his eyes momentarily, Raymond cursed Jackson for bringing him here. This was the day that their matric class had its reunion. After the first few uncomfortable attempts to join them, Raymond had given up. He really had nothing in common with them and he'd always come away feeling like a loser.

"It is you, isn't it?" The man placed his hand on Raymond's shoulder to turn him around.

"Archie!" He tried to smile, but it looked more like a grimace. Maybe there was some hope that they could get away. "It's been a while, but we have to go." He turned and pushed Jackson backward again.

"Guys! You'll never guess whose here!" Archie called over his shoulder. "It's Odd Job Ray!" He guffawed to a group of people sitting together.

"We didn't think you'd come." He chattered as he pulled Raymond toward their table, with Jackson silently in tow.

Family Tiesजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें