Part 27

"He was doing what now?" Asuka sat up straighter, not sure that she'd heard right.

"Spying! That little worm was spying on me and the company the whole time!" When he listened to Raymond at the office, it took every ounce of self-control not to jump up screaming or strangling him. "I can't believe I fell for his cute, innocent face!" He exploded again.

"And he was looking at whether the company was clean or not? Sounds a bit odd to me. Who asked them to do the job?"

"He doesn't know."He sighed. "Apparently it wasn't part of the brief he was given and he's trying to find them himself."

"This is like a spy movie" Asuka shook her head slowly. The more Jackson told her, the more unreal it sounded. But after having met Raymond, she could see why it was so easy to be fooled by his open face and those innocent eyes. His easy smile and infectious laugh quickly set people at ease. Maybe that was his charm.

"What now?" she prodded

"Well, it's good that I found out now before I invested more time and effort in what was obviously fake." He felt even more miserable saying this out loud. That's also what Raymond said though, he wanted to get it out of the way before the two of them dated. Does that mean he really wanted to date him? If there was a chance that what Raymond was saying was true, would he want him back?

"True. Pity though," she slightly shook her head. "He was a nice guy and seemed to be the perfect fit for you, even if he came with an instant family." She looked at her sad friend sitting with his shoulders slumped, looking as miserable as a puppy in the rain. Raymond must have made quite an impression on him, for him to react this way. This wasn't the Jackson she knew.

"What do I do?" He asked quietly.

"Why don't you take some time to sort out your feelings and then go and speak to him when you're ready? Maybe you'll be able to move on."

--

Raymond pulled up to Damon's house early Saturday morning. Gillie had decided on a family picnic and corralled everybody into agreement. Before he could even turn to speak to Skye, the young boy was out of the backseat and into the house as if a wind was propelling him forward. Shaking his head with a smile on his lips, he followed at a slower pace.

When he got to the sitting room, Gillie was standing directing people toward the picnic area outside. There was an old beech tree on a hill that overlooked the whole property, under which they were setting up. It was the same spot they always had their picnics. Although Gillie always took it to the extreme.

Hey Mom, I see things are in full swing." He smiled leaning in to kiss her cheek.

"Oh Raymond, it's so good to have you here! You need to go and show them how to set up outside. I have to get things ready in here." She pushed him toward the ceiling-high glass concertina doors that led out to the back of the house.

With a bemused look, he set off up the gentle hill enjoying the early morning sun on his skin. It was going to be a perfect day, he laughed, breaking into a run to where an events company was busy getting things ready. He didn't quite know why he was sent to supervise when everything seemed under control until he saw two figures walk toward him.

"Did Mom kick you out?" He laughed as Kelley and Eric walked toward him.

"She asked us to check outside." Kelley looked around in confusion. "I think we've been kicked out, Babe." She turned to Eric with a rueful grin.

"Well, at least we'll get some peace." Eric consoled her. "Where's the CEO" He turned to Raymond.

"Not in the picture anymore." He made a sour face. "He couldn't handle what I do." What I did to him and his company, quietly echoed in his head. He understood how Jackson felt right now, but it didn't sting that it was over before it could even begin.