Part 23

"Wow, that's a lot to take in." Asuka observed quietly, after having listened to Jackson talk about Raymond, his family, and Skye.

"It is, right?" He was uncertain. He needed to unpack and work through everything that happened, especially that kiss. Besides the fact that it blew his socks off, there was no way that Raymond could ignore the attraction between them.

"And, you're still interested in seeing him, knowing that you'll play second fiddle to Skye? A lot of guys can't handle that." She prodded.

"Don't be stupid, he's a cute kid, of course, I don't mind playing second fiddle to him." He frowned. "And anyway, it's a package deal, including that crazy family of his."

"Who'd have thought that the Priestleys were regular folk as well." She grinned.

"I'm telling you, there wasn't a moment of peace and quiet in that house. The cook even started throwing things at them to get them out of his kitchen!" He said incredulously.

"So what's next?" She leaned forward. "I'm surprised that you didn't pull out all the guns for this yet." She knew how overbearing he could be if he wanted something.

"He likes it romantic, so I've been making some notes. Apparently, it must all end in a grand gesture that would make him swoon."

"And how's that going?" She was surprised that Jackson was taking a different tack this time.

"Well, barring the two first dates, the third went quite well." He grinned again, thinking about that kiss. "I only have to think of what to do next."

Maybe you should do something that includes Skye." She suggested. "If you're okay with having him in your life, then you should hang out with him a bit as well."

"Great thinking! I knew there was a reason we were friends!"

"Piss off you arrogant moron!" She laughed at him. "Go and plan your next date with the family."

--

"Cook?" Jackson was standing in front of Raymond's desk, watching as he looked up, his fingers still gliding over the keyboard as if he wasn't interrupted at all.

"Hmm?" he asked, still typing away furiously, a faraway look in his eyes.

"Do you want to go out this weekend?" With Cook, you never knew. He could get all excited and say yes, or he'd become the voice of reason and scupper any plans that one might have.

"We need to go to Skye's football game on Saturday and have a family lunch on Sunday with my dad." He responded without stopping what he was doing.

"Oh..." He was a bit disappointed, but then, he should have thought that they may have other plans over weekends.

"Yeah, sorry." He smiled and turned his eyes back to the monitor, the conversation over from him.

"Eh, do you think you can stop what you're doing and give me your full attention?" He asked morosely. Surely he could tag along. It was only one day after all.

"I can do more than one thing at a time, you know." He reminded Jackson but stopped typing anyway. "So, now that you know we are busy, what else can I do for you?" He'd decided to keep things as professional as possible. Anything to stop him from pulling Jackson into the supply closet and kissing all sense out of him.

"I could tag along to the football game." He started hopefully.

"It's kids playing and a bunch of parents shouting from the sidelines. I don't think you'll be much interested in that.

"How do you know I'm not interested? I'll only be tagging along and then we can decide what we'll do from there. What do you say, Cook?" He watched as Raymond thought things over.