Part 9

Rushing to the boardroom, Raymond didn't find Skye as he'd expected. Deciding to try his luck in Jackson's office, he gently knocked before going in. He found Skye on the carpet playing with Jackson's model cars, while Jackson was working away at his desk. The scene brought a smile to his face.

"I'm sorry that he's disturbing you."  Raymond said quietly as Jackson looked up.

"Not at all!" Jackson grinned. " We've had quite a productive morning. That kid of yours is a real lucky charm." His third meeting of the morning turned out just as well, especially once they noticed Skye playing in the office.

"Thanks for looking after him. I'll take him downstairs for lunch now." Raymond moved toward Skye.

"That's okay, I've booked a table for us for lunch already. The driver is waiting downstairs." Jackson got up to get his jacket, waiting for Raymond.

"It's really fine Jackson. We've taken up too much of your time already."

"Don't be daft Cook. Let's just go for a meal, it's already booked." he moved to stand in front of Raymond who still looked unsure.

"I don't..." Raymond didn't get any further as Jackson's lips briefly brushed over his own, shutting him up. Blushing furiously, he looked up at Jackson who had a bright smile on his face.

"Shut up and do as I say for once." He brought the conversation to an end.

--

"Papa, can I go to work with you again?" Skye asked while he was helping Raymond fold clothes after dinner.

"Maybe another time Squirt. But you better not be cussing anymore or you'll only see the inside of your room for a week." he warned.

"But she was really mean." he moaned. "And you always say I should use my words." he accused Raymond, who couldn't flaw his logic.

"But maybe next time you can use nicer words. I don't think..." before he could finish his sentence, the doorbell rang. Who could that be? They never received visitors at night, especially on a school night, he thought.

"Jackson?" Raymond opened the apartment door to Jackson standing with a gift bag in his hand.

"Hey Cook. Hope I'm not bothering, but I thought I'd bring the kid a thank you gift for today." his eyes skimmed appreciatively over Raymond who was standing in a bright orange apron covered in a child's white hand prints, with 'Super Dad' written on it.

"Well, er..." It took Raymond a moment to get over the fact that Jackson was standing in front of him with his lopsided grin. "Sorry, come in." he stood back to let Jackson in.

"Hey little man!" Jackson called out to Skye who turned to him with big eyes.

"Hi mister! Is that for me?" he squealed jumping up and down.

"You bet! Here, take a look." Jackson pulled a box out for Skye, who immediately started tearing through the wrapping.

"Papa, look!" he said in awe, looking at the remote controlled model car in front of him. Without waiting for a response, Skye started opening the box.

"Just one minute there Squirt. You can take it out tomorrow. Time to get ready for bed." Raymond stopped him.

"But do I have to?" he pleaded. "Just once papa, please?"

"You can play with it after school tomorrow, okay? Now, get to bed, I'll be there soon."

"But, only for a little while" Skye started to argue.

"No buts, say goodnight and get your butt to bed." he smiled at Skye.

"But Papa!" He moaned, unwilling to let go of the box.