44

Things at first seemed to be looking up for him; the most important parts had been fulfilled after all. Food, water, some further freedom, and a recently secured position. Not to mention the degree of security Hogwarts offered- physical fighting was entirely, and disappointingly, off limits. But, he should have known he was assuming things a little too soon.

       It started with the odd behavior of the potions Professor, who seemed torn between staring and wanting to flee whenever they were in the same general vicinity of him. Now the headmaster seemed to be doing so as well, staring with especially narrowed and piercing blue eyes. He didn't think much of how Dumbledore had stared at the back of the Slytherin section in the charms classroom- Malfoy had made quite the dramatic entrance given his earlier behavior, the earlier pieces of what had led to that probably had been just as surprising.

Then, as they had been leaving the classroom, the elderly headmaster announced they would like to have a word with Filius, and had chatted with several of the students as they left. It had taken everything Harry had to slip out during a point of time when the headmaster could not stop him, and even then it had taken some difficulty. Especially given Malfoy all but clung on to his arm. Bulstrode seemed to like the Malfoy heir better this way, quiet, but Theo just seemed weirded out given his occasional wide eyed and horrified glances he shot towards Malfoy and where Malfoy clung to Harry. Crabbe seemed to have the best understanding, wordless sympathy filled his eyes, perhaps Malfoy had been closer to Parkinson or Phineas than Harry had expected for their deaths to effect him that deeply. Had he also reacted like that when Rosey died?  He had been young back then too, but he wasn't quite sure anymore, vaguely, though, he felt that he hadn't reacted quite so over the top.

Then the headmaster had made an unexpected appearance in the hallways. While he was walking to lunch with the Slytherins, Dumbledore had stopped them.

"Hello there," he'd cheerfully greeted only to be met with wary stares, "Where are you first years off to right now?"

Even Bulstrode seemed hesitant to speak, although Harry was willing to bet that Phineas wouldn't have been, or Malfoy if he was saying anything still, but after a too long pause where the headmaster stared Harry down, and Harry tried his best not to bristle and meet the challenge, Theo spoke, "The dining hall for lunch sir,"

"Ah, yes, yes, of course," the headmaster beamed, "I was just on my way there myself why don't I join you?"

"Actually we were just heading towards the library," Greengrass cut in with poorly disguised distaste, "But I'm sure Nott will appreciate the company."

Malfoy stared between the two groups that quickly formed in response to Greengrass's declaration, the lines clear but not yet incrossable. Then turned his eyes back at Harry as Greengrass stopped walking. Boyd immediately followed suit, Davis, Goyle, Carrow and finally Bulstrode hesitantly copied. Theo shot Greengrass a dirty look. 

       "Do you happen to know a shorter way to the dining hall that you could show us?" Harry asked, barely remembering to tack on the sir at the end, "sir. Some of us still need to gather our cauldrons before potions, so we have to choose between eating and studying."

It was quite clear from the knowing look he was given that the headmaster didn't buy his excuse for even one moment, but they still, nodded and agreed, "Of course, it's the least I can do after you agree to walk an old man like me to the dining hall."

Theo and Harry lead the way and, upon seeing Malfoy with his two followers, Carrow reluctantly changed her position as well. Bulstrode huffed and went along with Carrow and Davis didn't hesitate after that as she didn't want to be left behind.