57

"I'll be heading home for break," Theo had announced when the list of those staying went up, "My grandfather has some spells he wants to teach me, says the Hogwarts curriculum has gotten soft since his day."

       "My father has asked for my return as well." Malfoy nodded, "Won't be a lot of people to watch my back during the break."

      "I haven't heard from my parents since..." Ron sighed, "well, so I'm going back, the dumb owl probably went the wrong direction."

       All eyes turned to him and Harry rolled his eyes, "Why would I want to stay trapped here, I'm going too."

"It'll be an empty dorm than..." Ron trailed off quietly, it was quiet in the Slytherin common room even with everyone still confined to it, even before being confined, Slytherin were transferring out left and right, at least temporarily. Being told they couldn't leave the common room for an undisclosed amount of time while being essentially interrogated had been the last straw for many of them. They didn't have to, nor want to, stand for this sort of treatment. Most were from old families; they had other options.

There wasn't much for them to say, they hadn't parted each other's company in two full days now, and had it neared a week since Quirrell's death had been announced. Ron wordlessly got out the chess board to have another rematch with Malfoy, Theo opened his book and pointedly shoved Harry's unfinished homework under his nose.

Theo kept a close eye on all of their studies, but didn't interfere much so long as they got it done a handful of hours before it was due, given Harry would spend hours just writing a few short sentences, he was the exception and he grudgingly accepted Theo's prodding if only that meant the teachers wouldn't gently push him to speak with them about his troubles and coax him to come around about the importance of grades. He wanted to learn useful magic, not make a pineapple dance nor read long, wordy chapters about various plant and ingredient care and handling. But it wasn't as if he could escape. Harry painstakingly grasped the quill in his hand and began to scratch out Flitwick's description of the spell that had been assigned for homework.

"Mr. Potter," The dull monotony of the Slytherin common room was interrupted as the likely temporary acting headmistress Mcgonagall stepped into the room, approaching the first years. "I see you haven't put your name on the list to stay over break yet?" She inquired.

"I haven't." He agreed as she waited for a response.

"You are aware the deadline was yesterday, are you not?" She frowned.

"I don't plan on staying." He answered slowly as realization struck they weren't about to let him go.

Mcgonagall sighed, "Potter... I know your first year has been mixed with tragedies, but even you can see we can't in good faith let you return to an alleyway in the London streets."

Potter paused, he'd learned in his time in Slytherin that sometimes people just needed you to say the right words even if both knew they weren't true, "You don't have to worry, I'll be returning to my guardians for winter break. I was just throwing a tantrum when my letter was sent," he promised attempting to mimic Theo's innocent 'yes, sir, no, sir, I absolutely follow the rules' look, "They were worried sick. But they know I'm coming."

Mcgonagall's face showed she wasn't having any of it, "Then it should be no trouble at all for them to portkey here to assure me of that. Give me the address and I'll send a letter right away."

He hesitated too long struggling to think of an address and Mcgonagall fixed him with a deadpan stare, "I'm afraid I'll have to put you on the staying list then." Her face softened after a moment, "I'm sorry, I know this isn't ideal, but the board is taking no risks when it comes to safety at the moment; I can't let this slide."

         "He can come stay with my family."

     Malfoy immediately interrupted only to be stared down with the same pitying but stern look, "I'm sure you can see the problem with that plan Malfoy, Potter, you're staying."

"Okay..." he relented, he'd just have to slip out of the common room then when no one was looking, there would be far less witnesses in the common room then. Mcgonagall eyed him for a second, but ultimately nodded and left.

His friends on the other hand looked devastated.

         "I can stay." Ron immediately offered although his face- never the best at hiding his emotions- took on an expression that looked like he was stabbing himself as he did so, "I mean, they- it's not like they've told me to come back or anything..."

          "I'm sure my father would allow you to stay at our manor, we just need to forge a note from your guardians,"  Malfoy eagerly broke in, "We usually host at least a handful of guests before and after every holiday for our parties anyway- I'm allowed to invite guests."

        "You really shouldn't stay here alone," Theo added, he gestured at the near empty common room, "None of them are staying, but I have it on good authority a few Gryffindors are, either to patrol the castle or to try and start their search for the missing students."

        Harry was never sure how he did it so seamlessly, but Theo always seemed to know what was going on about the castle especially with the other student, often more than even Harry himself despite his very human hearing. Sometimes Harry wondered but his every attempt came up with the same eerie results; Theo's hearing really did seem to be at best ever so slightly above average.

        Still he cut off his friends' offers and suggestions, "Nothing we can do, I'll get out on my own, Mcgonagall seems set on my staying,"

         "It would look good for the board if a handful of students stay, and with Dumbeldore gone, manage to survive present and unharmed.  Then they can lump it all down to poor management." Theo mused.

"My fathers on the board-" Malfoy started to protest.

"And would go far to keep you happy, but he's," Theo gestured again, but this time directly at Harry, "The Harry Potter, he's too valuable a piece here."

"I can always slip out when they're not watching."

"You're going to be hard pressed to find that opportunity." Theo warned ominously.

"That's fine, sometimes I like a challenge." Slipping in and out of Diagon Alley stores had always been a good bit of fun when he was bored, more so than in the muggle world where there was only a great deal of cooing and occasionally someone trying to pick him up, but no one trying that hard.

While not preferred over being able to enjoy the freedom the forest at the edge of the grounds offered, it would still be a rather entertaining game if he could just slip past.

Short chapter, I know. -T.A.L.A.