76

"I think it's about time to call this meeting to order," Dumbeldore thundered imperiously and then glanced pointedly about the room, empty except it's many occupants and a round table filled with chairs, "it seems the ministry does not even see fit to show their face anymore."

"And what makes you the person to lead this?" Slytherin rounded smoothly on the old man.

Complaining at the same time as May who scoffed, "says, disgustingly, the most universally hated man in the room." She and Linda were already sitting, a good distance from Dumbeldore but less than ninety degrees from him on the round table so that they wouldn't be anywhere near the side of the table that Slytherin lingered by.

      "Disgustingly? A hypocrite and resistor of change of his caliber deserves that title." The final person in the room commented from the side of Slytherin, taking joy in The angered looks the two women sent him, his hands twitched and his face seemed frozen at an odd gleeful expression. They seemed vaguely familiar, but Harry couldn't place them at all, average height, so a little shorter than May would likely be without her heels, but that made them shorter than everybody else there except Draco.

"They were good people who you killed, good witches and wizards." Linda stated, her voice a forced neutral and body relaxed, an odd contraction given the gleam in her eyes and the words she choose spoke of nothing but fiery anger, "All they wanted was to help you and be your friend. And you killed them. Do you even ever think of their names."

"It was a sacrifice for a greater cause." Slytherin spoke grandly, with a sweeping gesture as he took a seat directly across from Dumbeldore, "Something I know you do not stray away from."

"They were children!" May protested.

"Some of them were, but many were also older than some of your Ravenclaw... friends. Older than those caught in the crossfire of certain Diagon Alley raids."

"But we aren't targeting them! And... So was I." There was a degree of vulnerability in May's voice that hadn't been there before.

"As was Rowle." Slytherin stated, self-satisfied by the full circle and beginning to make his way into a full speech, "As was all the unfortunate lives lost to Hogwarts, due to the ministry and Dumbledore's blatant disregard and incompetence. And, as much as it pains me to admit it... as was Potter, while I may have greatly wished to kill him at the time-"

    "At the time, suggesting not anymore?" Draco interrupted. 

       Slytherin eyed him warily, before he spoke, seemingly not as put off as Harry would have expected at the interruption. "I see no reason why I can't just ignore the prophecy. It seems Potter has fled back into the wilderness if he survived, if he continues to stay out of my way, then I won't get in his. As simple as that."

It was a little odd watching the wariness the group excluding Theo seemed to extend towards Draco who he was so used to seeing cower. Then again, perhaps the larger sign of things was that Theo who had kept a cordial but distant relationship with seemingly everybody now seemed to have a very clear past with everyone that held a lingering tension which rarely came from things that weren't deeply personal.

      From May, to Ron, to the Hufflepuff prefect, to the odd Slytherin fellow, even Dumbledore, he seemed to have in some way grown close to them and then burnt the bridge irreparably. On top of that everyone was referring to Draco as Drakon, for some reason, and nobody seemed keen to do anything but talk in circles making the whole thing feel more like some kind of fever dream than any logical reality.

       Although that seemed to be expected from humans in his experience.

In the other room the fireplace roared to life again.