64

The dining hall was more of a mess than usual the next morning. Granger was huddled at one end of the table, miraculously even more separated from the rest of her house than she had been after the troll attack.  She wore a mask these days over her face, gloves covering her hands and disappearing into the sleeves of the school uniform, and bandages still wrapped around her neck practically covering any piece of her skin from view, which made the contrast all the larger from the Gryffindors many of who stood on the opposite end to get as far from her as possible.

      Fred and George were the only exception, sitting and eating happily- or at least seemingly happily- a seat or two from Granger, forming a pseudo-barricade between her and the other Gryffindors.

        "This isn't the time for jokes you too." Who he assumed was Percy Weasley, hissed at the two, "Get away from there."

"Aw come on Percy, the ickle first year isn't going to eat us or anything." George said.

        "Yeah, Percy," Fred smiled encouragingly at Granger's hunched form. "Hermione's lovely to be around."

       "A bit of a stickler for the rules though." George added, "Kind of reminds you of someone doesn't it?"

       "You couldn't mean our dear git of a brother Percy do you?"

       "Why I do think that's exactly-"

       "Grow up!" A boy with scraggly, long dark hair shouted at the two, abruptly standing up as well, "For once Percy is right, she attracts monsters and brings death, who knows if she's even doing it on purpose; what is wrong with you two!?"

       "Lee-"

      "No!" Lee, Harry assumed this was the Lee Jordon who's pet Ron was terrified of cut them off.

       A girl who he recognized was on the quidditch team who he sometimes saw practicing when he was in the forest also stood, "They're right! Didn't you hear Trelawney's prophecy! The girl attracts danger wherever she goes! You'll be next!"

      "We can't find new beaters in time for the game if you guys get yourself killed or injured so just-"

       "Shut up Oliver, as much as I hate to say this but quidditch isn't that important right now!" Another person on the Gryffindor team shut him down, by this point the whole dining hall was watching and the teachers were murmuring, seemingly unsure what to do, Mcgonagall was noticeably absent.

      "The Slytherins are trying to pick us off!" A different voice shouted. "They all know their lord has returned and they're trying to kill us before we can start to form against them!"

"He's right! How do we know that she's not working for them!"

"That's quite enough!" The doors had opened as this final person, a first year had talked, Mcgonagall marching in but looking far more tired than had become her new usual. Behind her Harry recognized the uniform of the Aurors, five of them marching behind her all with grave faces. "Miss Granger, Mr. Potter, I need a word with you both."

Potter? The question ran through the crowd in a whisper, like the wind blowing through a tall field. Had he been involved? Harry stood, shoulders braced, worried looks being exchanged from all the other Slytherins as he left the table.

"After Breakfast is finished you will all be escorted to your common rooms by your head of house where classes will be held for the day. Thank you." She finished speaking.

Sleeping. Theo scrawled on his arm and discreetly pointed at Harry as he left. For once Harry was glad for the lightning fast speed which Theo wrote with- weak he might be, but Theo's mind tended to work faster than most and he had trained his hand to keep up.