80

"Would you like to go?"

   "Okay."

       Theo nodded once, twice, there was something awkward about his demeanor, in a way that hadn't been there for some time now and he seemed to be waiting for something or trying to decide on his next words. 

       Remembering the last time he'd left the wards, Harry supposed it could he trying to ask him to transform, the conflicting emotions that were carefully hidden could have to do with Theo preferring it when he was fully human yet having to ask him to transform into the snake again to go outside. 

     Deciding to test that theory, Harry spoke again, nodding back, "I'm ready to go with you whenever you leave." He transformed into the snake and waited to be picked up, smiling up at them- he wondered that the gesture was seen as friendly, but Theo had found the smile amusing when the other had finally caught on to what Harry was attempting. 

       Judging from the surprise and seemingly relief that almost immediately greeted the response it seemed he had made the right call.

Theo bent down, kneeling on the floor in front of him and offering one hand for Harry to climb up and curl around his shoulders. "Have you mastered windless magic yet?" He asked, his hand lingering as if hesitant to touch the brightly colored scales without permission. Theo always was hesitant when it came to contact, Harry flicked his tail so it rested briefly on the outstretched fingers between taps and bobbed his head up and down in a nod and then tilted it side to side; sort of. He still struggled with bigger spells, but he had always had a fairly good grasp on it.

Theo nodded absently, "Here, let me show you some translation charms and we can see if one of them will work that way you can tell me if you see something that interests me while we're out."

Harry didn't have a way to communicate that he had spent quite some time wandering the wizarding alleyways before he'd gone to Hogwarts, do he nodded his acceptance. And allowed himself to be presented a paper with four spells which Theo read aloud for him; a nice touch as he dreaded reading even those short passages. Hogwarts had been enough for him, as far as reading and writing went, and whatever practice that had done for him had faded away with the decade of imprisonment.

The first two spells were busts. One allowing Theo to understand his intentions clearer, but translating poorly to near gibberish, and the other producing only hissing, ringing static.

But the third one worked, if he focused as if he was speaking the words, Theo could understand it, but Chippy shook their head only hearing him make quiet little hissing noises, unusual for a snake, but not enough to raise eyebrows. A perfect match for what they wanted.

      "Ready to go?" Theo asked, his excitment masked, but the upward twitch of the corner of his mouth giving him away.

        Yes, Harry hissed not bothering to hide his own, let's go

      Theo smoothly turned on his heel and the duo were on their way with a sharp crack!  

      Diagon alley itself didn't seem to have changed at all in the decade or so it had been since he had last been there. The same worn, but clean stones marked the same winding path, and the same stores with many of the same clerks and shop keeps inside lined said route.

      What had changed were the people, they were less carefree and talkative, hurrying along their path in similar, indistinct clothes which carefully walked the line between muggle attire and more traditional wizarding styles. Head down, scarves on, many with hoods or sun hats further covering their faces as they rushed along, brushing carefully past each other on the sides of the road. Theo was the exception, his formal, wizarding clothes standing out like a sore thumb with no scarf or head covering his distinctive, colorless hair and small dark eyes. He walked quickly but confidently down the path and everybody else carefully avoided eye contact.