54

You know what I found out writing this book?  There's like no information on Hufflepuffs in Harry's year, so uh... I get to make stuff up (well I'm more or less taking whatever names I can from the hp wiki). Which I'm going to do now that they're the only house that hasn't been introduced and subsequently torn apart yet (last but not least). This'll be fun. All the Hufflepuffs will die. (Given how this story has gone, I feel I should clarify; that was a joke... or was it?)

      Well anyway, posting early because I've had a long day, there's not enough caffeine in my system, and the day is basically still getting started, so... basically I'm procrastinating.

       Also in case your wondering, the Hufflepuffs multiplied during the sorting.

-T.A.L.A.

"Hufflepuff!" Mcgonagall cried out as the latest of the sortees lifted their head from the bowl of some mysterious potion, classes had been cancelled once more as the sorting would finally be concluded. The student leapt up and hurried off to join the clapping Hufflepuffs. "Weasley, Ron." They we're reaching the end of the sorting and the redhead who Harry had spoken to briefly walked up the stairs looking practically sick, their eyes locked for a brief moment and they gave a slight smile before dipping their face into the bowl that rested under Mcgonagall's hand.

      People devolved into quiet chatter again as everyone waited for the result, apparently from what the other students who had taken the test said, they were transported to an empty room with a door in it, for most people the test ended after they made a few attempts to open it, some never tried to, for others it ended when they opened the door.  Either way the test took longer than the hat did and people grew bored as they waited, most long finished with eating but still not allowed to leave for something more interesting, only the Hufflepuffs maintained their enthusiasm for the ideal.

       Carrow glanced sullenly over towards the Ravenclaw table, where the majority of students had their heads down in books, for the thousandth time since Rookwood was sorted. Rookwood was already staring back. Davis sneered at the duo, like she had nearly every time they stared over at each other. Harry absently took another bite of whatever he had filled his plate with this time, his hand tapping the seconds across the table as he debated taking a nap at the table, there was still a handful of students left so he had plenty of time.

        "Slytherin!" Mcgonagall sounded shaken, but Ron didn't seem surprised, only oddly resigned as he headed down the steps and took a seat with the other first years. Davis made a noise of horror, but no one else seemed to react at all, unsurprising given the mind numbing boredom the extended sorting induced.

         "Hey Potter." He greeted, almost blandly, his eyes briefly searching the table as if looking for someone. Bulstrode, Harry realized.

"Weasley," he returned.

"Welcome to Slytherin I suppose." Theo added, "Nott, if you forgot, we have astronomy together."

"I remember." Weasley replied shortly, looking at the food longingly, none of the unsorted students had eaten, before glancing about the table full of students watching him nervously. He was beginning to look as if he was going to be sick again when his eyes landed on Malfoy as if the Malfoy heir would have a remark about his placement.

"Weasley." Malfoy nodded, trying to be discrete as he moved even closer to Harry's side.

Understanding seemed to dawn on the newest Slytherin as his eyes took in the quiet Malfoy, so different from what he knew, Carrow, looking so forlorn, not even noticing him as she glanced to the Ravenclaw table, a bright red scar crossing her beautiful face, Davis at her side her face a blank mask, managed a stiff nod in greeting before returning to glancing between her empty plate and where the owls flew in, and shooting scornful looks at Carrow. And then understanding dawned.