Fifty Four

After walking back to the picnic we found Ryu was still watching the food and soon as I added the sauce we were ready to eat

After walking back to the picnic we found Ryu was still watching the food and soon as I added the sauce we were ready to eat. Due to the irresistible marinade handed down from my dad the atmosphere seemed lighten. Except when it came to me. The conflicting emotions swirling around my head were actually giving me a headache. Amber sat close to me and though she tried not to be too friendly with the girls and Michael's girlfriend. She couldn't help it, she's naturally a people's person. Since my talk with Corey he's been sticking close to me and Marco's ex seemed to be non existent. As dense as the girl was, she took notice to Corey's gravitational attraction towards me. The subtle touches, the way he would discreetly scoot away from her and closer to me. To make it worse the looks I would catch her throwing at me when she thought I wasn't looking were quickly pissing me off.

" So Amber what do you like about DyverCity so far?" Gabriela asked excitedly

Apparently she follows Amber on Jumpsnap.. she's a fan.

" It's only been a day but I can honestly say it's very refreshing that no one has assumed that my father is a drug dealer because of the way I carry myself. Racism is like non existent here" Amber smiled from behind the cheeseburger she's been nibbling on.

Gabriela's mouth fell open as she leaned against the table. " Seriously? Wait was there racism at Gudens?"

Amber hummed.

" Freaking hick town" Michael muttered slyly.

" Well not directly in Gudens but when we would leave the grounds.. the locals didn't like the sight of us all hanging out together"

" Why not? Were you doing something scandalous" Bri nudged Michael playfully.

Corey scoffed.

" We didn't have to they hated seeing a group of multi race, multi cultural friends actually getting along" I said obviously.

" For the most part" Corey snickered.

" They're just behind in the times" Daniel excused.
" Look you got two white guys" he gestured towards himself and Simon.
" A rich black girl" he gestured towards Amber.

" A Korean" he gestured towards Ryu.

" A Mexican" he gestured towards Michael.

" Two mutts" he cheekily gestured towards me and Corey. Raising a hand Corey flipped him off as I chuckled softly.

" And whatever the fuck you are" he waved his hand at Scotty.

" Bro I'm Jamaican" Scotty muffled as crumbles of hamburger meat flew from his mouth.

" Scott's adopted" Michael explained to Bri.

" He's white" Amber rolled her eyes.

He frowned as his shoulders sagged.