Chapter 1: Chiba's #1 loner returns

I hear it all

The loud engines of the car, the news broadcasting on the radio, and the cicadas outside, even though the windows were closed, it was still audible in my ears, loud and clear.

I feel it

This car was going at a steady pace, the air-conditioning was pleasuring, against the burning summer, in here, I'm safe and sound, this truly was a satisfying ride, indeed, good job, taxi driver-san.

As I take a peek at the window, I see my beautiful hometown, Chiba, passing through me as the car continues moving.

(Ahhhh, I wanna get out right now and explore Chiba for a bit, then again, I'd rather stay here than go outside just to get burnt by the scorching sun)

Yup, let's stay here, this is the safe zone after all, it's nice and cozy here after all, it's so comfy that I'm on the brink of sleep after all, wait, why don't I just take a nap right now, hurray!! Bonus sleep, let's do it.

(I can always take a stroll around Chiba later right?)

Yes, sleep is a priority!

The only problem is, I'm not sleepy, just a little tired, I already took a 5 hour nap on the plane, and I already have more than enough stamina to keep me going for the day.

Really, because of "that", at times, I have more energy than I need; it's starting to get annoying. I can't get some shut-eye even if I wanted to, and sometimes, I get sleepy all of a sudden even when it's not the time to sleep.

What a real mess of a sleeping schedule.

I'll have to fix that.

I don't wanna lose my sleep after all.

I wanna sleep lots after all.

Sleep is important after all.

After vowing to protect my sleep I continue to peruse my surroundings, I continue to look outside, and at that moment, the biggest flood of nostalgia came rushing to me.

(Oh I remember that)

From across the road I see a playground, but not just any playground; it was the playground I frequented to, the place where Komachi and I often went to when we were young.

(That takes me back)

Even if Komachi wasn't with me, I still played there.

(I remember now, I used to play at the swings there, alone, and the seesaw, alone, I even played baseball there...alone)

(Sigh)

(What am I talking about; of course I did it all alone)

I was the loner after all, besides my little sister, I had no one to play with, I didn't play catch with my old man, and I didn't play catch with anyone, even when I was the only kid at the playground, even when I was all alone in the seesaw, even when parents or the other kids saw me alone.

No one came up to me.

Even when the parents saw me, they only gave me a look of pity.

There were even times when the other kids did the classic:

"Mama, look"

"Oh, don't look"

But instead of calling it a bad memory, I consider it as a learning experience; I now understood that none would be willing to come to me.

No one approached me, so I didn't care.

I didn't wait for anyone to befriend me; I just entertained myself by my lonesome.