Chapter 25: Come and See

.

.

.

"Hey, I see someone..."

Chandler whispered like a skeptic before popping his head out the window. Chan, we're in a Humvee. I didn't wanna see a head flying today. At least the others only peeked at where he pointed.

I cocked my head to the window. No fear of getting sand gusted in the face, though. Weren't flying high enough.

The heat hadn't gotten me sweating buckets just yet. And my vision wasn't too hazy. That said, some bushes were blocking my view.

However, If I squinted just a bit more, I could still very much see two snails' pace persons.

Chandler took out a pair of binoculars.

"So, what do you see?"

Logan muttered a little inquiry with eyes still glued to the road. Chandler did an:

"I don't know..."

He did some weird pursing with his lips.

"...just...?"

"And?"

"No luggage-no, wait, shit, is that a rifle?"

"How far?"

Since Zack was sitting on the opposite side, he couldn't see. Still, his tone was bordering on sounding like a candy-intoxicated kid.

"Uh, pretty ahead...I'd say...eight hundred, give or take."

"Hey, hey, hey. Do you know what I'm thinking? Yeah?"

We knew what Zack was talking about.

"We're gonna do it, right?"

We knew.

"Tell me we're gonna do it."

His 'Hey, Hey's weren't stopping. It was just a bit more before he went full-on giddy-kiddy. The kind you see at your local toy stores. But it wasn't like he was the only one. Sean was just one 'hey' behind. Chandler, the damn smirk, sat back, not saying a word. And, for as much of a nice guy Marcus was, you had to accept that nice guys were like nice girls. You just couldn't read them at times.

Eventually, Logan directed some 'What do I do?' eyes at me. I gave a slight nod, and he did the exact opposite of flooring it. He slowly and calmly stepped on the brakes. And with that, the Humvee went turtle-fast.

[Hey, what's with the hold-up?]

I think it was John through the comms. You could recognize his horn honking from a mile away.

"We've spotted two on the move..."

[And, oh...yeah...? You guys gonna take care of it?]

"Gotta ask COC first."

The radio transmitted a small sigh. Sorry, John.