Chapter 5: Year: Zero

.

.

.

I see nothing.

I see nothing but an ocean of people.

(What a crowd)

A deafening one at that.

(Jeez, can someone even talk here?)

In pursue for an exit, countless times I've accidentally bumped into someone.

(What a pain)

Minutes of claustrophobic tension, all rewarded once.

(Finally)

Escaping the blistering horde, I now face the outside, with snow as its blanket

(It's already March, and the snow is still this thick?)

Even after the escape from the airport, it was still the same.

(What a packed place)

With many footsteps, their sound covered by the snow, but even still, voices, mutters, engines of the cars, many more, echoing in my ears.

(Loud and packed, two of my least favorite)

If such was the case, why was I here?

(...)

As I halted my thoughts, car engines approached, getting louder and louder.

My arm raised up high, as a form of signal.

(Is this the right way to do it? I've rarely went on one, and this isn't Japan anymore, what if ways are different here?)

Only seconds passed until a certain cab drew closer.

(Good, looks like it does work)

Silently, opening the door, I enter, with little luggage in hand.

The man, the driver then opens his mouth.

"Alright buddy, where do you wanna go?"

A man of average build, with a beard, with a look of no more than 15 years older than me.

Now, with an answer not yet given, the man finally looks towards me, slightly surprised, he then asks a question.

"Hey bud, seeing as we're right outside of an airport, are you new here? Can you speak English?"

A young man silent just outside of an airport, questioning whether I was a foreigner with no English skills.

"Yes, I can speak English"

The man, shocked, but immediately jolly was his face.

"Oh would you look at that, you can speak, for a second there I thought you were one of those tourists that couldn't speak English, no offense man"

"None taken"

I answered back.

"Well, where do you wanna go?"

"A hotel, a cheap one'"

I voiced.

"Roger!"

He answered with glee.
.

.

.

.

More than half an hour later, we've arrived.

"There you go, man, it's a pretty decent one"

With my eyes looking outside, I now saw the hotel, minimal in size, with no grandiose appearance, a 2 Star hotel at best.