Chapter 16: A dinner for four

.

.

.

Slowly, I kept walking. Even with the end of that conversation, in my mind, the words we shared stayed fresh.

(We ended our talk...I ended it, maybe not with a valid reason, but perhaps because I just didn't want it to continue)

I stopped walking. I looked down and saw my hands slightly shaking. This jittery sensation, it wouldn't stop, it was difficult to breathe, with my heart beating faster than normal.

(I couldn't let this go, even after I left minutes ago. When I was beside her, I just couldn't not feel tense at the time, one of the very few times when I didn't know what to do)

(Hopefully I won't meet her again anytime soon)

I continued to stroll.

*Step*

*Step*

But then I was provoked by a thought.

(Wait...am I forgetting something?)

I pondered this with a blank face, then my eyes widened when I realized what it was.

I took my phone out of my pocket and my fingers went to work. Once it made a sound, I placed the phone near my ear.

[Onii-chan! Where are you?]

[What about you?]

[I'm at the grocery store, I just went to buy something. Also, you weren't there]

[Uhhh...I got...bored...anyway, just stay there, I'm coming to you]

.

.

.

"Hrrnn, I'm done waiting!"

She pouted when she came into view. Not only did she have her bag hanging on her shoulder, she also held two plastic bags while standing there, looking at her made gave me the feeling that she could've given out at any moment.

"My bad"

Honestly, I felt somewhat guilty, though I still went to her and she walked towards me to close the distance.

"So, what's for dinner?"

"Fufu, rejoice! Tonight we're having Zaru Soba with Tempura!"

"Ohh? You learned how to make that?"

I was surprised, I almost applauded. Since when did she learn to make that? Never...from what I remembered, so I naturally felt admiration for her.

"Of course!"

With her hands on her waist, she sported a triumphant look.

"Anyway, we have to hurry, I still have to cook"

"Wait"

Before she could walk, I reached for her hands and slid mine around them to take both bags from her. The heft that they posed wasn't a burden for me, though for her, it was different.

I started to walk, yet she didn't. I turned and shot her a glance, and what I saw was a Komachi with an amazed expression.

"Let's go"

She continued staring at me for awhile before her stare suddenly changed to a more cheerful one.

"Nnn!"

She exclaimed in delight and soon walked to my side.

.

.