Chapter 27: Boxed

.

.

.

I opened the door. Dark. I slid my shoes off and entered the living room. It only had one bulb lit, the one above the sofa, where Komachi was reviewing some papers. I traded greetings, grabbed a water bottle in the fridge, then chugged half of it in one go. Dry throat, what could I say?

"Where'd you run off to?" She casually asked. Didn't even take her eyes off the papers.

"Just went for a drink." Instead of being all laid-back on the sofa with a magazine, she was there marking checks and numbers. Glasses on, hairband and all.

"Hmm," After she mumbled, I felt her glancing at me. "Alone?"

I muttered: "No...". She nodded.

But her eyes were still on me. Silent, staring, anticipating.

While sinking on top of the sofa, I sighed. "Ishikkiiii..." Guttural, dragging her name on. Another nod.

"Mhmm, how was it?" She put her pen onto her lip.

"I'm not drunk."

"Uh-huh..." She went back to her papers. "By the way-wait," She paused, stared, and did a drawn-out sniff in my direction.

"You reek."

"Of course I reek, I had a drink." Did I come off too strongly?

"No, that's not what I'm smelling."

"Then what-" I looked away. Knowing a side-eye was coming, I gave up on trying.

"Ok, you wanna know? Alright. I also lit a cig."

Disgruntled looking, she grumbled. She sighed. "Haaah...Onii-chan..." She had that bitter glint.

I opened my palms. "I won't do it here, don't worry." Like dropping a gun.

"Yeah...mom's not gonna like that. You're lucky they're asleep right now, y'know."

"I'm telling you." I did it again. Then she just looked at me. Willing to listen, but ready to ignore.

"Look, there's nothing wrong with it. A couple here and there, that's it. I'm keepin' myself in check."

She looked away. "Alright." Did she roll her eyes? I couldn't tell if she did or didn't. "Not like I can stop you." Alright, halt.

"Let's call it off for now, alright? Can we leave it at that?"

"Ok."

"Thank you."

"Now then, what were you trying to say?"

"Oh, uh, I wanted to ask if you'll be there."

"To...?"

"The wedding." I turned around and cocked my head.

"What?" In the spur of it, my lips parted a little. Wedding? Whose? Her's? Shit. Where should I start?