Chapter 32

These lips can't wait to taste your skin, baby, no, no, and these eyes, yeah, can't wait to see your grin ~ Miguel

2 weeks later

"Ma, we're leaving!" My mom called up the stairs. She lodged the stone weighted suitcase down the steps. I kept my hands hovering over the handle, in fear she might injure her foot again.

After spending two weeks at my grandma's house I'm not sure if I want to leave anymore. While mom rested, grandma took me out where and when I wanted and cooked my favorite meals.

I blew a puff of air out, my eyes darted to the bowl by the door filled to the brim with hard candy. I swiped some into my bag when I thought no one was looking.

"I saw that," grandma said. She came down the stairs, fussing with her purse. "Take all the candy you want baby, I don't care." She smiled.

Mom stood straight, brushing her hair out of her eyes. "Ok ma, I'm ready to go. I'll see you later." She hugged her.

Grandma rubbed her back, whispering a few words in her ear. She then crossed over to me and opened her arms. I walked into them and she squeezed the living daylights out of me.

"Be good now," she told me, sliding a ten dollar bill in my back pocket.

"I will grandma," I beamed.

She wrapped her shawl around herself and walked us to the door and watched us leave. We soon arrived back at the house around midnight. School was in two days and all the lights in the house were out.

The next morning I woke up to a blurry Cora standing over me. She pushed the little boy beside her. "Shush Nico, she's waking up."

I rubbed my eyes, sitting up, "what are you guys doing in here?"

Nico perked up and jumped to me, wrapping his arms around my neck. "He missed you," Cora rolled her eyes. "When did you get back?"

"Last night," I rubbed Nico's back. As much as I love my grandma's house, it felt right to be back here. I looked around the room that grew into my personality and the kids around me. A smile tugged on my lips.

"Nico, I told you to stay out of Aniya's room," a deep voice came from the hall. Victor walked through the open door and paused when his grey eyes landed on me. "Oh you're back."

"Yup," I breathed. My eyes raced up and down his figure. His hair was cut shorter and he looked a bit taller than last time I saw him.

His fingers tapped on the side of the door, he nodded and left the room. "Nico, you've been in my room while I was gone?" I looked down at him.

"Yea, he's been sitting on your bed every day, on his tablet."

Nico looked at me sheepishly, shrugging his shoulders. I shook my head playfully. Cora later dragged Nico and herself out so I could get ready for the day.

Kendall and mom wanted to go shopping for new clothes. I dressed myself in some dark jeans and a black graphic T-shirt. I pulled my braids into a ponytail and joined everyone downstairs.

"Here's my card, don't go crazy with it." My mom said handing over the piece of plastic. I kissed her on the cheek and walked into the nearest store.

I'll be glad to say I didn't go over my limit. I carried the new shoes, clothes, perfumes and lotions in bags that hung from my arms. I dropped them on the floor of my bedroom and sighed.

I took a sip from my cup of lemonade, the ice clinking on the bottom. A knock rang from my door. I placed my cup down and opened the door only to be pushed back.