Chapter 35

All I care about is money and the city that I'm from, I'ma sip until I feel it, I'ma smoke it 'til it's done ~ Drake

"Here's the plant you gave me. I forgot to give it back yesterday. Hope I didn't ruin your project," I sat down beside Nathan.

It was Friday and I was ready to leave school as the work was beginning to get harder. Nothing but college talk has been shoved down my throat multiple times and I need a break. Maybe the party tonight will even me out.

"No, you're fine, it's not due for another week." He said, swiping the plant to his side.

"So what was the purpose of giving me the plant?" I asked. I spent a good 24 hours and then some taking care of it, I deserve to know.

"It's just a small experiment to reflect how nature is treated. I gave a plant to four other random people and they all came back different. It's so easy to trash the environment we live in." He shook his head.

Wow, he and Quinn must be best buds in their class. "That's pretty cool," I smiled, turning in my seat.

I was halfway finished with my assignment when loud blares sounded throughout the school. I groaned and stood up, following everyone to the door.

If this was a real fire we would all die because most of the kids were walking extremely slow. We stood outside in the scorching sun with thousands of other people.

I shielded my eyes from the sun with my hand. A nudge to my shoulder pulled my attention to a cap held out by Nathan. "You can use this," he offered.

I gladly took it plopping it on my head, "thank you." I beamed. I felt an eerily shiver run down my spine. I froze in my spot as I met with chillingly grey eyes.

Although he doesn't express much I could see the glower on his face. I raised an eyebrow, my heart spiked weirdly.

The teachers then informed us to head back inside and I lost sight of him as a sea of teens blocked my vision of him. I walked back inside and continued my assignments.

Soon the day was over and I was heading inside from the garage. A slam of the car door was heard behind me and I saw Victor walk towards the door.

"You don't have to wear a hat inside," he said in passing. My eyebrows furrowed, hat? My hand went to my head and I then realized I still had the cap Nathan gave me. Damn, that's another thing I'm going to have to return.

I snatched the hat off and continued walking inside. My mom stood in the kitchen, playing around with some dough on a floured counter.

"Hey mom," I kissed her on the cheek. "Whatcha making?" She rolled the dough around into a ball and kneaded it with her knuckles.

"Just some homemade bread to go with dinner tonight."

I nodded and grabbed a popsicle out the freezer, instantly regretting sinking my teeth in the cold ice. I slapped a hand to my mouth as my sensitive teeth cringed.

I stayed downstairs and watched my mom cook. I would have helped but then everyone's appetite would have been gone. After dinner, Lily and Quinn were over to get ready.

We did each other's makeup and put on our clothes. I sat on my bed, and tied the straps of my shoes. I doused myself in perfume and popped some gum in my mouth, ready to go.

"Alright ladies, let's go." I gestured to the door, an excited Lily giggled as she left the room. She almost slipped down the stairs, falling back onto me to drag me with her.