Chapter 40

I miss my cocoa butter kisses
Hope you smile when you listen ~ Kaash Paige

Homecoming was in one week and I still haven't picked a dress out. To be fair I was totally stressed with school and everything else, so it kinda slipped my mind. I was thinking of just going with my friend group like usual.

"Declan, why is your face painted red?" I looked up at him in concern. It looked like someone's toddler used his face as a canvas for finger painting.

He rubbed his cheek trying to get it off but only managed to smear it some more. "I was going to do something nice but it backfired on me," he kissed his teeth.

"What were you trying to do?" I giggled. He sat down beside me on the lunch table's bench. I was outside instead of study hall today. It wasn't too hot but very little wind blew.

He sighed, placing a hand under his chin. "I want to ask Quinn to homecoming."

My eyes lit up and I dropped my pencil. "No way! I knew you liked her. I could see it in your beady little eyes," I laughed, pointing at him.

A small blush swept over his cheeks. He shyed away from me. "Whatever, I need your help. I don't know what she likes."

I put a hand under my chin as well, pondering on her favorite things. Just like a lightbulb flickering on, an idea struck me. "Why don't you take her to the park with the gorgeous garden. Take a walk and ask her there. And use some kind of earth pun, she'll like that."

Not too shabby for homecoming. I wonder what we'll have to come up for prom next?

He picked up his head, "that's a great idea actually. Not too little or dramatic. Thank you bella," he grabbed my face, pecking my forehead.

His Italian accent slipped out slightly at his endorsement. He rarely lets us hear it. I chuckled watching him walk away with paint on his the back of his jeans.

Someone should tell him.
__

I walked into the restaurant, sliding my shades off my face. I looked around before spotting Val standing by the bar. She giggled as she served the blonde in front of her a drink.

I raised my hands, waving them. She caught my eye and excused herself, strutting over to me. "I see he's been visiting more than usual. Any special reason?" I teased.

She batted her eyes playing the innocent card, "not that I know of." She shrugged her shoulders, "maybe he just likes the place."

"Yeah or the hot Hawaiian chick behind the register," I snorted.

"I wouldn't doubt that idea," she winked. "What are you doing here, it's a weekday. Shouldn't you be in school?"

"School ended an hour ago and I didn't want to go straight home," I shrugged.

"I got something for you," she held up a finger, as a matter of fact. She came back with our apron and my name tag. She tossed it to me and I caught it near my chest.

"Ohh no, I think I would like to go home now," I turned around . My soul was nearly snatched out of me when I felt a tug on my shirt's collar.

"Yeah nice try, don't be a baby and hang out with me."

"You mean help you work," I rolled my eyes, slipping the apron over my head.

"Tomato tomate," she sang, walking away.

By the time I got home it was around seven and the lively house I usually come home to was silent. I shut the door, hanging my keys on its holder.

I was about to head upstairs when a glowing light around the corner caught my eye. I removed my hand from the stairwell and walked into the kitchen.