Ch 8 'I'll Follow You Wherever You Go'

Question of the Chapter: Who is your favorite 'Diabolik Lovers' character and why??

***

Lilith stared at the sleeping Karlheinz in deep thought. After thinking for some time, she had come to a decision. She decided to project herself in his dream. 

Lilith wanted to test a theory out, also to fulfill Karlheinz's wish as soon as possible in order to gain that favor. Even though Lilith has no control of the dreamworld that doesn't mean she doesn't have an influence.

Reality faded away and dreams invaded her world.

***

Once upon a time, there was a young Duke. From a prestigious family he excelled in everything. No one was considered a match against him. He was an ambitious young lad. 

Many attempted to seduce them with their charms, no avail. His heart was unmoved. 

One day, in the public eye of society, it was believed that the Young Duke found his one true love.  A lady of a lower status was spotted with the Young Duke doing activities couples usually do. Pursuing ladies were obviously heart broken, but there was no official declaration that she was his lover. It didn't stop their pursuits until the Young Duke himself announced his Duchess himself. 

It wasn't that low lady, it was someone of an unknown background. The Young Duke was infatuated with this mystery woman. Within the gossips and rumors of the society it was claimed that the woman was a witch who bewitched the Duke. It wasn't until they saw for themselves that they thought, 

'How can this woman be a witch?!' 

She was a goddess descended from the heavens. Everyone was in absolute awe. Her every gesture, act, presence, and even her voice was graceful and elegant. To put it into simpler terms she was a work of art. No wonder the Duke was madly in love. 

The Duke and new Duchess got married and became the golden couple that people from all over the world admired and looked up to. The Duke was like no other noble, he stayed loyal to his wife throughout his lifetime. They lived until they died of old age.

***

Once upon a time, a prodigal Young Duke have gotten everything he'd ever need. Wealth, status, women, influence, etc. Like everyone, even if he was perfection there was one flaw. 

Someone with no ambition or desire was dangerous. The empire was his chess board. Women were pawns. His influence concealed his dark deeds. Wealth and power shut the mouths of nobles, even royalty. With one word from him the entire world would be plummeted into chaos.

There came a day, a daughter of a Baron approached him. Preached to him that he was human, that he didn't need to be perfect around her. As she tried to naively seduce him, she only got caught up in a dangerous web. 

He trialed his experiment to feel empathy, but it was a failed experiment. He let it continue on for the entertainment of when she realized that her efforts were fruitless. 

Until a mysterious appearance of a 'Goddess' stopped all his thoughts and made him feel indescribable feelings. 

'This woman is mine.' He vowed.

Her appearance was suspicious for obvious reasons, she could be a spy to seduce him. Potentially the emperor sent her to wrap him around her finger and keep him in line. He could care less. Whatever she wanted or needed he'll give it. Except his life. 

He immediately gave her an identity that made all nobles oppose. She became the next Duchess. With his power no one was able to do a thing about it. 

She stayed by his side performing the proper duties of a Duchess and a loving wife, even though he knew she didn't love him. His days were filled with bliss and peace. Every act and evil deed of his, she followed through without question. She never judges his insidious side, and viewed him for who he was. But the only question she had asked in this lifetime was, "Do you love me?"

He would obviously answer agreeingly without hesitance to coax her. But every time that question was asked, he did question himself. Did he love her? Time went by and everything was within his control until one day it wasn't.

He almost lost her. Who was she to him? She was his life, she was the air he breathed, she was his sun and moon, she was his everything. 

For the first time he felt an uncomfortable rush of emotions and he knew. 

'I love her.'

No one could ever make an imprint in his heart except for 'her'.

He lived out the rest of his days showering her with endless love and pampering. Anything to make her happy as she had done for him. Anyone in their way was slayed without a single thought. They lived until they were old and grey. The now retired Duke had no regrets with his life. 

The Dukedom that he could care less about was handed over to their adopted child. People would think that he'd regret not being able to conceive a child with his beloved as an heir, however he wanted to be the only one with her attention. He wasn't bothered that his wife was infertile.

They lay together on their death bed. The last thing he said before they left was, "I'll follow you wherever you go." A kiss to her temple and they were gone.

***

Like long dreams it lasted for only minutes in reality.

The moment when the golden eyes opened, it darted around the room looking for one figure. The eyes calmed when it landed on Lilith who sat across the room.

Karlheinz got up to approach her, putting his hands on each of the armrests he looked deeply at her. No word was said.

Lilith then casually asked him, "Do you know what love is?" The voice of his beloved spoke.

His hand rose to caress her cheeks, a force prevented any contact but that didn't matter. He caressed the air near her face as if he were with her skin. 

"The moment I wake she is the first person I want to see. The moment I sleep she is the person I want to share my dreams with. Her happiness is my own happiness. She is the air I breathe; she is the gravity of my core. She is my entire world." He spoke with passion. Her silhouette was the only figure in his eyes.

"Congratulations." Lilith acknowledged.

They both mutually knew that everything that happened would stay in the fleeting dream. Would Karlheinz allow that? Of course not. He had secretly made plans at that moment.

Lilith referred to the table beside them. A blood contract was set only needing the signatures of the recipients. This blood contract is written in blood as an oath that will not be erase until it is fulfilled. The favor Lilith asked for is yet to be fulfilled. Karlheinz peacefully left after signing. He anticipated the moment she asked for the favor.

***