12. Hope

There was a sliver of hope creeping it's way into Harry's chest, and he couldn't contain his huge grin.  It was a great feeling, and letting go of his previous anger and all the negative thoughts, he was only going to focus on the good things.  The positive things.  Like the note that he was holding in his hands.

Dear Harry,

I've been a prat, I know.  I'm allowed to be, I'm a Malfoy.  And no, I know the name doesn't mean shit anymore, but it is what it is.  It is how I've been conditioned.

Thank you for gifting me my wand back, it was a surprise.  Not a bad one, but an unexpected one, and I want you to know that I accept your apology.  Not just about taking the wand, but about everything that you apologized for.  But I will only accept yours, if you will accept mine.

I owe you a huge apology.  I insulted you, hurt you in so many different ways that I am almost ashamed to name them all.  (Only almost though), don't want you getting a big head.  Not that your head isn't big already.  But that's not the point.  I don't want to fight anymore Harry, I don't want to become my father, and I most certainly don't want to pay for his sins.  Sometimes I think I deserve to, because of what he has done to you.

But you're not that type of person are you Harry?  You forgive so damn easily, and that's what scares me.  I want to be able to do that.  I want to trust people with my whole heart, but I am afraid of what it will do to me if they broke that trust.  I don't repair easy, and I don't trust easy, you know this.  Imagine us being friends.  The golden boy and the death eater.  I cannot possibly fathom how our world will simply not vomit at just the thought of it.

But I digress.  You coming to the Manor so many times, and waiting for me has given me hope.  Hope for my future, hope for a career, hope for making things right with my friends, because I had started pushing everyone away.  There is a light in you Harry, one that never seems to go out.  You see the world in different colors, and I wish I could.  Perhaps you could show me sometime.  

There are many things that still need to be said, but I don't want to put it on paper.  I want to see your reaction when I tell you.  As I'm sure you still have a lot to tell me.  Would it be all right if I came to see you at your house, and perhaps have dinner.  Merlin knows I need to eat more, mother tells me that every bloody day.  She loves me, no idea why though.  I'm a mess!

Consider these words Harry, and if you can write me back, and let me know when.  I will do all I can to be there.  

Fuck I'm turning into a damn Hufflepuff and I don't even care.

Kind regards

Draco

It had been a week since Harry had been at the Manor, and now it seemed that Draco wanted to visit him for a change.  He knew he would say yes to the dinner, and would write a reply soon, but when to have him over?  Would the weekend be too soon?  He normally went with his gut, so this time, he would as well.  It was a Wednesday, so two more days to answer and prepare.  He was going to be okay.

He went to his desk, pulled out a piece of parchment, and started writing.

Dear Draco,

I can't begin to tell you how happy your letter made me feel.  You speak of hope, and that is exactly what I felt when I read it, so thank you for that.  Yes you are a prat, or at least you were, they say the first step to recovery is admitting the fact, ha ha.  But because you have, I will admit something as well.  I am a prat too.  Ta da!

You most certainly do not deserve to pay for your father's sins Draco, only he can do that.  You were forced into something, just as I was.  It may have been on a different side, but in the end you came through for me, for us.  The whole wizarding world owes you their gratitude.  And I'm not just saying that because you apologized, you saved my life more than once during the war, and without you, well let's just say the outcome would have been quite the opposite.

Yes I forgive.  I like to think of myself as a lover and not a fighter.  In the emotional sense of the word, because hate has no space in my heart.  I will elaborate on that much later, when you and I sit down and talk about things.  You are right, we have a lot to get through, but I am sure we will be able to handle it.  

I would like you to trust me, and I know that I have to earn your trust, which I am willing to do, in spades.  It's a good thing to be guarded, and not to trust easy, but sometimes you waste too much time doing this.  There is always a way to repair and mend a broken heart, perhaps we can do this together.  

And for the record, I actually don't care what the wizarding world thinks of us becoming friends.  I don't even care what my friends think.  This is between you and I.

I don't want to be your friend to please people, I want to do it for you and for me.  Times have changed, tides have shifted.  And stop calling yourself a death eater, you were never one.  You never believed in that regime, you hated every minute of your sixth year, so stop it.  I'll make a deal with you.  Every time you call yourself a death eater, I will either smack you or hex you, or god forbid kiss you, that should be enough motivation for you to stop!

I will show you what I can, if you promise to show me yourself.  Your true self.  And I have to say that I agree with your mother.  You are way too thin, you need to eat more, please Draco.  Even if I have to feed you myself.  You are too precious to starve, and believe me, I know the feeling.

Dinner at my place, this Saturday night?  Be here at around seven, bring wine!   I look forward to seeing you again, Hufflepuff!

Yours

Harry