Playing a Role; Playing a Fool

Authors Note

Alright, Welcome readers! Gonna try and get a few days of updates typed up in one go again.

Hope you all had good holidays! I had a great Christmas, and am now an engaged woman! On the other hand, family health problems and other stressors persist, so finding writing time and motivation can be tricky.

Anyway, our tale continues...

Playing a Role ; Playing a Fool

The scent of frying eggs and sizzling bacon invaded Matsuda's senses; stirring him awake. Blinking his eyes open with a hungry groan, he was at first very confused.

First of all, it had been ages since he had awoken to the smell of a home cooked breakfast, and it sent his mind spiralling way back to the happy days of childhood. Then he realized he was definitely an adult, and that confused him even more; especially when he realized he was in a very unfamiliar room staring at a very unfamiliar ceiling.

That was when the previous days events came crashing down on him. In particularly the event of finding the sleeping arrangements.

Once the two officers had arrived at the apartment, and managed to make amends over the argument they had been having (what had they even been fight over?) they decided to look around the small but comfortable undercover residence. 

They left their bags in the entry hall and wandered room to room, checking where everything was, taking note of what spaces could be best utilized in what ways. They discussed what had been already stocked up on, what they would need to get. And moved on the the next room.

"Well...that's the living room...kitchen..." [y/n] eyed the two remaining doors; suspicious of how few there were. She was slowly realizing that this was something she should have foreseen. Of all the tropes, in all the world...this one would decide to invade real life and bite her in the butt.

"W-which one should I open next?" She glanced between the two, dreading what she might find. Please, please let it not be what she thought.

Matsuda didn't seem as suspicious. But as smart as he could be, she had been told, and by now had witnessed, that he could be somewhat clueless too.

"Just pick one..." Matsuda looked confused, "I'll do it."

He remained confused, until he swing the door open and revealed a bathroom, leaving only one door remaining, "Oh...Oh..."

Matsuda lay there covering his face, which was now as red as it had been in his memories of realizing they would have to share a room. It made sense from a maintiaining cover standpoint. They were "lovers who just ran away together". The characters would be intimate...

Fortunately there was a futon hidden under the queen sized bed for him to use. Because sharing a bed for real would be too awkward. As long as they didn't have to worry about hidden cameras or being spied on, this arrangement would work. Damn you Near; yet thank you Near!

He just couldn't be careless about walking in without knocking. His face when crimson again.

"Masahiro," His codename was called from the kitchen, "I made breakfast!"

If she was going to call for him, using his codename was actually a good idea, even in the apartment. Small places like this might have thin walls, afterall.

"I'll be right there!" He scrambled to put the futon away, buying time for his blush fade.

After a few deep breaths he walked out to the kitchen, finding [Y/N] wearing a pair of short denim shorts, and fitted baby-t. She had a kitchen apron over it that was way too cute to be healthy, and had already gotten her makeup on.