Anxious to Follow, Hesitant to Lead

Author's Note

Sorry for being AWOL. Quick refresher on insert terms I use, since I jump right into them with this chapter, and they might be unusual ones: 

[P/T] is Pet Type. I recommend going with a dog, cat, something of that nature. If it can free roam in an apartment, it should be good.

[P/N] is your Pet's Name. Not much else to mention on this one. 

Content Advisory: PTSD flashbacks to Death Note ending. If this is a possible trigger, be aware it's there.

----

Begin Chapter

----

[Y/N] closed the door to her apartment behind her with a tired resolve. As was routine, her [P/T] came to greet her upon her return, thrilled after having been left home alone all day, "Hey, [P/N]. Good to see you to!"

It was nice having someone to return to at home. Especially when the work week was reaching the half way point and [Y/N] was practically dreading what was to come the next day. Tomorrow she began a mentorship at the NPA u be Matsuda Touta.

She had been nervous enough about shadowing Mogi and Ide the last couple days. It had actual been very nice. Mogi was a gentle giant with a quiet disposition. He did his best to make her comfortable though, and it was easy to become comfortable around him.

Ide spoke a bit more often, and was less large. She had been nervous she might accidentally comment on his lack of eyebrows, but in the end they had enough to talk about that it was easy to get along without mentioning them. And surprisingly, Ide didn't seem to mind listening to her talk about her manga and anime, even if he didn't really understand.

Matsuda was difference though; because she was pretty sure that he already hated her. Her first day there she had spilled his coffee on him. And convinced him she thought police work was a game. Her second day she caused him to have some kind of flash back by mentioning Kira. She had tried to avoid him the next day, and somehow she had still accidentally backhanded him while gesturing as she asked Ide a question.

And now she would be with him the majority of every day for at least the next month! He hated her, and things would be tense, and awkward, and she would just make things worse because she was weird and couldn't handle such stress!

With a groan she finished giving [P/N] his greeting and moved into the small living room, plopping onto the couch. Tomorrow was going to be hell.

___

Matsuda was slumped back in his favorite old chair. He had bought it some time ago at a second hand store, and it was surprisingly comfortable. All the comfortable furniture in the world couldn't put his mind at ease that evening, though.

As he had been enjoying a takeout meal in his living room, he had also been dwelling on one thought: what to do about [Y/N]. He was supposed to mentor her somehow. He didn't think he was cut out for it.

A man like Yagami Soichiro was a mentor. Aizawa could be a mentor, sure. But Matsuda? Idiot Matsuda who had believed to the last that Light had to be innocent, and then lost all control out of rage at the truth when it was revealed? No, he wasn't a mentor...He could not be trusted with shaping another into a decent cop and human being...if the girl died because he screwed up while mentoring her...