CHAPTER XXXII (b): Time for Answers

Max's P.O.V.

After the gruesome incident at school and the spell was cast, I set off to find Carlisle. However, before I had completely committed myself to the journey, I had to check on Joella. I needed to know that she was okay-- for now at least.

I found myself perched outside her window gazing into the dim room, barely lit by her gaudy red lamp on her nightstand. She slept soundly and peacefully under the duvet seemingly without a care in the world. I was at ease seeing her in this state and it warmed my heart knowing that she was okay. Satisfied, I left and set off to find Carlisle.

I am still having misgivings about the entirety of the situation—Joella being the Devil's daughter and my curse. I was never one to speculate about celestial beings like gods, angels, and devils but here I am a living speculation. Some areas of the world would consider me—a vampire—to be a demon as well. I'm not, I still have my humanity. I didn't give in to the beast inside me. I can't. However, because of this curse that Viktor or whoever placed on me, they know what I am. I can never allow myself the satisfaction of tasting even a drop of human blood. If there is a God, I pray He saves my soul from being swallowed up by hell but for now, I must go to hell and back to save her.

Reaching the Vixen residence, I rhythmically knocked on their mahogany door and awaited a response. Standing on their porch, I rehearsed what I was going to say to Carlisle when I saw him so as not to scare him off. Many scenarios played out in my head and none of them ended well for me. My safest bet was to mention Viktor and my distaste for him quick enough so he knows Vik and I aren't friends. Judging from his family's relationship with him, the mere mention of his name was enough to get the door slammed in your face... or worse. I can't risk it.  I knocked again, and again, and again. I knocked in sequences four times and still no answer. Okay, that does it.

"Chloe! Open up!" I yelled but still no answer. I turned on my heel and focused my hearing on the sound around me. It was still dark out so mostly I heard the chirping of crickets and toads whistling. Then I heard breathing and three heartbeats—mine and two others. One was much fainter than the other, as if on the brink of death. I sped over following the sounds and quickly, in an instant, appeared in their yard by a greenhouse. Candles were lit inside surrounding Chloe and a man, who I'm guessing is Carlisle, was asleep beside her. This must be some kind of ritual. They're both completely open, somebody like me would have a field day with these two like this. I should keep an eye out, just until one of them wakes up. I kept my distance, just far away for anyone not to notice but close enough to attack and I waited.  

Soon the darkness gave way to light and morning broke. I witnessed Carlisle do something strange—he had magic. I saw him do magic; the only thing is it didn't look like he meant for it to happen. That instant, Chloe awoke. From what I gathered, they were talking and Carlisle let his sister believe that she had caused the disaster in the greenhouse—granted she returned the space to normal with a simple wave of her fingers as if nothing happened. Waiting patiently for my opportunity, Chloe and Carlisle headed back to the house and I heard him mention something about a forbidden spell. He must be talking about the spell she cast to turn back time. It didn't look like I would've gotten the chance to speak with either of them so soon, so I waited some more and watched them enter their home.

For what seemed like over three hours, Chloe finally left for school. Confidently carrying herself with sass she hopped into her car and sped off. Her brother was just about to grab his keys from the rack when I appeared before him. Shocked, he stepped back and exhaled the breath he had held in. "Shit man! What the hell?" he exclaimed. "Who are you?"

I examined his demeanor and gathered my thoughts before answering. Finally, I said, "I'm a friend. The name is Max and you need my help."

"Well, Max, I don't know you but I know what you are and I certainly don't need your help with anything so get the fuck off my porch." he barked.

"No need for passive aggression. Just hear me out, please. This is about Chloe." I added hoping that the mention of his sister would ease his hostility.

"What about my sister?" he asked sounding curious.

"Well, now that I have your attention, let me just point out that I lied. This isn't about Chloe. This is actually about Viktor." I confirmed.

"You have five seconds to come clean, or so help me God, I'll fuck you up right here and now for wasting my time." he threatened. Max smirked at hearing his obvious bluff.

"I believe that you would; if only you had your power," I stated. "Ah, that's right, you do but problem is, you can't control it. Say, how long do you plan on keeping it from your sister? I bet she won't be happy to know her brother that her brother has been lying to her this whole time." I couldn't help but attempt to blackmail him. It was the only way to get him to cooperate with me after mentioning Viktor.

"You son of a bitch. What do you want?" he asked me, clearly enraged but defeated.

"I need your help to find out what your good-for-nothing uncle is up to and you need mine," I stated.

I stood there watching Carlisle contemplate aimlessly—as if he had a choice—then he finally spoke. "What's in it for me?"

"How about the satisfaction of knowing your secret is safe with me and your sister will never hear about it—at least not from me. Also, the fact that you helped take down your uncle?" I highlighted. There's no way he'd turn down this chance to take down Viktor, especially since now I'm the only one who knows his secret.

"Fine! What's the plan?" he asked impatiently. However, did he really think that I would blurt out my plans in the open? Firstly, I don't even trust him yet, and second, who knows what Viktor did to me, he's probably spying on us right now, listening to our conversation or something.

"We're doing this my way. See you tonight at 7:00. Wear something stealthy." I cooed and sped off the porch. The look on his face the moment I vanished and the conversation he had with his sister was enough to tell me that he had chosen to save her and to finally put an end to his uncle, Viktor. Hopefully, I can convince him to tap into whatever dark magic that was used on me to locate the culprit if it turns out that Viktor was miraculously innocent. 

Somehow, I feel like the games have only just begun. A two-man team against all odds. A fight for survival and a dance with the Devil's daughter. Every mystery, every lie ever told and every truth hidden in the depths of our souls are about to be unleashed into this god-forsaken world. The moment her identity was revealed, the battle against time and the end of all humanity began. For if there is a daughter of nonother than Satan on this earth then he must be real and he is coming. The Lord, our God, must be real and He is watching. I will not be so obliged as to be graced by His presence because I'm not only of the walking dead but I'm a demon of the night—a vampire.