Chapter X: Scars Are a Reminder of the Truth

Day 2 in the hospital.

I awoke to find Max laying in bed next to me asleep and I jolted up. Hmm. I guess he stayed. I winced because there was a sharp pain in my neck. I went to the bathroom in my room to wash my face and brush my teeth when I noticed the scar on my neck from three days ago. It was beginning to look like a birthmark or something.

Joella placed her finger over it and stroked it. She had no idea where it came from and didn't even remember having it. It only began to seem noticeable on the day before she went back to school. She studied hard for a while and looked at herself in the mirror with eyes full of curiosity. The bathroom door in her room slowly opened and she looked back extremely fast because she was startled.

"You know?... curiosity killed the cat." A hot British accent said. Joella placed her hand on her chest and breathed slowly.

"Geez! Max... it's just you. Don't do that! At least knock first." She breathed out.

"Well! Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning." Rick smirked.

"Well yeah because you hogged all the space. Why are you even still here? If the doctor sees you..." she trailed off.

"Okay, first of all, I did NOT hog the space, you're just an awful sleeper. You kicked me off the bed and second, what's the doc gonna do? Give me a shot?" He laughed and playfully brushed Joella's arm.

"No... but he might call security because you are not supposed to be in here at this time. Visiting hours aren't until two hours from now," someone said from behind them.

Joella and Max immediately spun around to see the doctor standing in the doorway with his clipboard.

"C'mon son, out! You can come back later." The doctor said as he pushed Max outside my room and I laughed silently.

"C'mon old man at least let me stay a couple of minutes." Max retorted.

"How many times must I tell you, Recarro. I may be twice your age but I'm not an old man. Now leave." Max stood there in the doorway and I just sat on my bed and watched.

"Recarro! Don't test my patience." The doctor instructed.

"Geez old man stop calling me Recarro, I go by Max now."

"Recarro, tell that Oprah. Now, please. I have to tend to this patient, you're wasting my time."

"Fine, I'll go but I'll be back." Max looked at the doctor then glanced at me and looked into my eyes. "See you later, mate." I gave him my best smile and he left.

The doctor sighed and then came to me for my check-up. "Sorry about that, Ms. Wilis."

I smiled at him. "Please, call me Joella. I don't mind."

He scoffed then sighed. "I have no idea where he gets that attitude from." I looked up at him confused. "Oh, he didn't tell you?" I shook my head. Tell me what? "I'm Dr. Woods. Recarro's father. Well, Max's father I should say." I chuckled.

"So if your Max's dad that would explain the conversation from earlier." He nodded. "Why didn't he tell me."

"That's something you should ask him."

"Yeah, I guess."

"So Joella, tell me something." I turned to face him as he brings a chair near the bedside. "I've noticed a change in Recarro's attitude lately, in a good way though, I was just wondering if that's because of you."

I didn't know what to say. "I mean well, I guess it could be. We had a connection and for some reason, he always calls me 'mate'. Why is that?" He was about to tell me when he suddenly noticed my scar.

"Where did you get that?" He whispered. I touched my neck and before I could answer, he unexpectedly arose from his seat and left the room while I sat there puzzled.

I sat on the bed contemplating whether or not to text Max or call him. So I texted him.

To: Max

Hey, Max. When you see this call me if you can ASAP. Also, why didn't you tell me that my doctor was your father?! o.O

A couple of minutes went by and I received a text from Max.

From: Max

Hey mate. I can't call right now. I'm in the middle of a history class. I thought it'd be weird if you knew that my old man was your doc. Especially since I just took you to the hospital then left. But anyway, I'll call you later in a few ;)

I read the text then tried to relax until it was lunchtime for him to call me but it was only 8:13 in the morning and lunch doesn't start for another few hours. I'm tired of being cooped up here in this room. Ughh. I thought of several things I could do then I decided to continue watching my favorite TV show. The Vampire Diaries. I was watching season 4 episode 3 and by the time it was lunchtime I was already finished watching the season. A few moments later after I settled in and finished freaking out about Elena turning into a vampire and having her humanity off, I got a phone call from guess who!

'Hey mate.'
'Hey. You.'
'Hey. You.? That's all I get?'
'I'm sorry it's just...I'm not sure whether to call you Max or Recarro.'
'You can call me whatever you like, love.'
'Well then, I'll think about it.'
'Glad to hear it. So... what did you want to talk about.'
'Oh umm. So... remember this morning when you were here and your dad came in?'
'Yeah..'
'After you left we started talking then I asked him why you kept calling me 'mate' and...'
'WAIT WHAT? You ask my dad that? But I already told you why I call you that. I told you everything.'
'I know just let me finish. He was about to tell me but then he saw the scar on my neck and said something then he stormed out of the room. Why was that? '
'Oh uh well, see the thing is... crap I have to go that's the bell."
'What? But it's still early.'
'Yeah, the periods were shortened while you were gone. The principal didn't want you of all people missing work so we have two more classes then school is over for the day. Right now I have to go but I'll tell you everything when I get there, okay? I'll see you later, mate.'
'W-wait!'

I stuttered after him but he hung up. What does all this mean? It just isn't making any sense. I wish someone would clarify everything.