Chapter XXIII: Scar-Faced

As everyone went instantly bemused at the presence of the strange man, Vicktor, that seemed to know Chloe, Isaques, and Rachael, Max stood silently with a malicious grin.

"Miss me?" The man asked, now a few feet away. A long unsightly gash from his right eye to his jawline sent shivers down Chloe's spine as memories flashed by.

***flashback***
Young twelve-year-old, Chloe was seated quietly in her room staring blankly at the lifeless wallpaper covered in purple butterflies. Often than not, she'd watch from her window the purple butterflies being swept up by the afternoon breeze as they soar freely in her garden. The sight of such freedom brought her a sense of euphoria. As well as watching her mother, Veronica, so filled with youth and beauty, tending to their garden with the butterflies fluttering around her. Her mother was one with nature and Chloe grew to be the same. Veronica was so full of life and joy that many thought her life would be lengthy. Unfortunately, she passed away suddenly due to a most unpleasant event...
"Vicktor, you can't!" exclaimed Veronica as she was surrounded by scorching flames standing in a pentagram.
"You can no longer control what I do," Vicktor stated.
"Vicktor! I promise you, I had no choice. I get it, we both need to protect her together. She is the last one left, so, please. You can't do this alone." begged Veronica, now coughing as the smoke entered her lungs.
"I can and I will. For you, Veronica, are no longer my sister." With one last chant, Vicktor ended his dear sister's life and poor Chloe witnessed it all. As streams of tears rolled down her round cheeks from her puffy eyes, she stood at the doorpost crying. Vicktor saw her as he turned around with a single stream flowing down his left cheek. As a result, Chloe collapsed on the warm hard floor.
Several years had passed ever since Vicktor took up the responsibility of raising Chloe. She was fifteen years old and was blooming into her magic. He taught her everything she knew about it. A few days after Veronica's death, Chloe loathed him from the bottom of her heart, and because of her hatred, she vowed to exact revenge on her uncle, Vicktor.
After teaching her the basics after those three years, he suddenly vanished.
***end of flashback***

Chloe peered at Vicktor's stone-cold green eyes like daggers as he gave her the same malicious grin that Max had. Pure rage filled her after seeing the man that ruined her life. "Uncle," she murmured under her breath. Isaques and Rachael turned their heads and watched with puzzled looks as the tension built up between Vicktor and his niece. Max, on the other hand, watched with a beaming smirk plastered across his face, clearly enjoying the amusement. Vicktor finally made it in front of the group and smiled.

"You sure took your time," Max spoke and stood alongside Vicktor.

"My apologies. Traffic." Vicktor gutted. The two ended their brief conversation with calming smiles towards each other then stared at the others. Puzzled beyond belief, Isaques and Rachael exchanged gazes wondering why their high school friend was in their presence. Chloe, however, clutched her fists tight allowing her perfectly manicured nails to penetrate her smooth soft palms. By doing so her rose-colored blood trickled then streamed down her knuckles.

"Vicktor," Isaques finally broke the silence with a demanding tone. The man then turned his attention towards his old acquaintance giving him a friendly grin.

"Isaques, my good man!" replied Vicktor cheerfully putting his arm for a classy handshake. The good man in question noticed Vicktor's invitation and simply ignored it with a serious expression.

"Enough with the formalities, Vicktor," Isaques stated then Chloe abruptly let out a loud cry and chucked her fist towards Vicktor, enclosing him within a magic circle that restrained his movements.

"Well done, Chloe. I taught you well. How's your brother, Carlisle?" Unfortunately, it did not restrain his mouth. Chloe was on the verge of extreme rage and before she decided to chant a spell that would break Vicktor's bones and pop the blood vessels in his brain, Isaques took over and placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder.

"I got it from here," Isaques stated approaching Vicktor.

"What are you doing? He's here to help us find Joels." Max finally intervened. Everyone then shot a completely different look towards the restrained Vicktor.

"Guilty as charged." He gloated.

"Just hear him out before you do anything," Max advised.

"Hear him out? Have you no sense, Recarro?" Isaques gutted. "Do you know who this man is? Who do you think is responsible for your mother's death, huh?"

The boy didn't speak.

"Isaques," Rachael began. "just listen for a second. Please, he may have some valuable information about finding Joella. At least hear what he has to say." She reasoned.

"Raven," Isaques looked softly towards her then to Chloe. Gesturing to Vicktor to speak, he sighed. "Very well." Chloe stared at her uncle dead in the eye as she clutch her fists.

"So what do you know about Joella's whereabouts?" She asked, her breath barely steady. Vicktor, however, kept his confidential grin. "Speak!"

He chuckled humorously and replied. "You, Chloe? Ordering me around? Haha! How adorable that you think you are superior to me." He scoffed. "You still have lots to learn." Vicktor shrugged his shoulders as if barely to take a breath and Chloe felt her fists contracting as her blood began to thicken. Just in a split second, Vicktor was free from her magic circle.

"Y-You..." Chloe started; couldn't believe her eyes.

"Shocking isn't it?" Vicktor asked sarcastically as he straightened his collar.

"How did you..." Isaques trailed. Rachael was astonished while Max sighed.

"My good man, I was never shackled nor bounded." Said Vicktor.

"Vicktor, why must you always aim to jest with me?" Asked Max, running his fingers through his hair. "You're wasting time!" He suddenly yelled.

"Alright alright, young vampire, I'll tell you what I know about the child's whereabouts." Vicktor finally began to share his insights. However, as fast as he began was as quick as he ended. "She's with her father."

Rachael and Isaques weren't so surprised but Chloe and Max were puzzled to the core.

"Father?" The young vampire spoke unconsciously. "I thought her father was a priest or something?"

"Priest? Not even close." Vicktor chuckled. "Oh Raven, didn't you tell them?" Chloe turned to Rachel.

"What is he talking about, Rach?" She asked. Rachael was about to answer,

"Um. Joella's father is," she began but was interrupted by Vicktor as he loved stealing the spotlight.

"Why he's the Devil himself," smiled Vicktor sardonically.

Chloe and Max shouted in unison. "The Devil?!"

***
Remember to VOTE and COMMENT!