。15 。

-"Boring

-
"Boring."
-

"I'm gonna be late, thanks to you." Kate told Clint, now dressed in a long coat with an orange and black suit on underneath with a black t-shirt.

"You're gonna be alive 'cause of me." Clint shot back.

"My arse looks fabulous in these trousers." Ophelia mumbled to herself, dressed in some black work trousers with a baggy band t-shirt tucked into them under the belt, a black leather jacket sitting on her shoulders. She heard Clint sigh at her comment. "Sorry I'm trying to enjoy my first real Christmas, old grump."

"Hey, man, here you go." A man smiled, handing Clint some paper.

"Oh. Being a gentleman, walking on the outside. That's nice." Kate commented, between Clint and Ophelia.

"No, no, it's just so I can hear you." Clint responded. "And to be clear, not 'cause I want to, just 'cause I need to."

"Oh." Kate mumbled. "What happened?"

"Uh, too hard to tell." Clint lied.

"Mummy, Mummy, a superhero." A little bot beamed.

"Wow, Stevie, you wanna say hi?" His mum asked and a group of people dressed as superheroes greeted him.

"Hey, look, that one's you." Kate smiled, pointing a the woman with a bow and arrow.

"No." Clint denied. "That's Katniss Everdeen. Let's go."

"Yeah, they can't be you." Ophelia started. "They seem nice, unlike-"

"You're problem is branding." Kate cut her off, grinning when she felt Ophelia link their hands together.

"No, my problem is you pair." Clint argued. "And this ninja suit, and the people trying to kill you 'cause of this ninja suit. That thing's a problem that I'm going to solve today, so I can go home to my family."

"No, it's branding." Kate denied. "You whole thing is that you're low-key. It's a very hard brand to sell."

"Well, I'm not really trying to sell anything." Clint replied.

"With your personality, or what we've seen of it, no one's gonna wanna buy what you wanna sell." Ophelia chuckled.

"Yeah, and it would make you cooler." Kate continued and Ophelia nodded in agreement. "But with all the scary stuff that's happened since the Avengers appeared, people don't want that cynical, cool thing anymore. They want sincerity."

"That right?" Clint asked, amused.

"Not self-seriousness, but heart-on-your-sleeve sincerity." Kate added.

"I see." Clint mumbled.

"You are very contained. You keep your cards close to your vest, which you wear over a suit of armour and, like, 16 other layers of self-protection. All of which, under, finally, is your heart. So, not exactly on your sleeve."

"Again, not really trying to sell anything." Clint finished.

"But you do, anyway." Kate shot back and he sighed.

"Yeah, okay, Kate. Um, what am I selling, then, huh?" Clint questioned. "It's certainly not Halloween costumes or toys off the shelf."

"Inspiration, Clint." Kate stated, pausing her footsteps before she started again. "The office is here, Shall we meet at the safehouse after work?"

"Uh... Y'know, uh, if all goes as planned today, this is probably gonna be the last time we see each other." Clint answered.

"But the only thing you've taught me is how to loose a tail and I almost already knew that." Kate chuckled, saddened.

"Right, maybe I taught you how to bandage a wound." Clint smiled. "How's that?"

"But what about trick arrows?" Kate asked.

"There are no trick arrows, Kate." Clint denied.

"Wait, so nothing?" Ophelia quizzed and he shook his head. "Boring."

"Here, put your phone numbers in here. For emergencies only." Clint ordered and the pair did. "Just go inside and be safe." Kate rang her phone and then Ophelia's on it,

"Just lettin' it ring through, so I have-"

"Gotcha." Clint cut Kate off.

"-your number." Kate finished her sentence, handing Clint his phone back.

"Emergencies only, or I'll block and delete you both," Clint told them. "Um, this is goodbye."

"Okay." Kate nodded.

"Great. Merry Christmas." Clint mumbled.

"Alright." Kate grinned.

"Maybe for Christmas you'll get an x-ray to check your heart." Ophelia smirked.

"Cool. Call you later." Kate smiled at Clint, her and Ophelia walking away.

"No, please don't." Clint shook his head.

"We got your number!" Kate called.

"I'm gonna be in your nightmares, Clint!"

"Phelia!"

"What? It was a joke!"

{672}