。16 。

-"Morning

-
"Morning."
-

Kate and Ophelia left the lift, inside of the building where Kate worked. Really, Ophelia didn't want to go but Clint told her that the Tracksuit's would find her if she was alone, as if she couldn't get out of the situation herself. She was also kind of protecting Kate, who had less training and experience than her.

"Hey. Back in a sec, D." Kate told the receptionist, placing her back on the floor behind the woman who looked back at Kate and Ophelia while they just walked off.

"Oh. Hi, Kate." Eleanor's receptionist greeted.

"Good mornin'." Kate smiled, Ophelia doing the same, about to go into Eleanor's office.

"Nope. Oh." The receptionist mumbled, going after them as they walked in.

"I'm sorry. I know. Before you say it-" Kate started, looking at Eleanor.

"Katy." Jack interrupted. "Good morning. And good morning, Ophelia."

"Kate." The brown-eyed girl corrected.

"Morning." Ophelia replied with a smile: he didn't seem as bad as Kate made him out to be.

"Sorry for your loss. I, um, saw it on the news." Kate nodded, lying.

"Thank you, Kate. That's very sweet of you." Jake mused, moving to sit down. "He was very dear to me."

"Must've come as quite a shock." Kate spoke up, her and Ophelia also sitting down.

"I feel like I'm in a business meeting." Ophelia muttered, her posture spread out in her seat. "Comfy. Hm."

"It did." Jack agreed. "It did, indeed."

"You two were probably really close." Kate stated.

"Well, we had a special relationship." Jack nodded and Kate hesitated, glancing at Eleanor.

"What about the inheritance? What is that-"

"Kate, what are you wearing?" Eleanor interrupted her daughter.

"Oh, this, it's, um... Ophelia's. I'm just borrowing it." Kate lied.

"As if I don't dress like Frank Gallagher." Ophelia murmured, no one hearing because Eleanor was speaking again.

"What's this I hear about a fire in your apartment last night?" Eleanor questioned.

"I can explain. Can we talk?" Kate asked. "Without the interloper?"

"Please." Eleanor sighed.

"No, no, it makes perfect sense that she would be hostile." Jack chimed in. "She likely feels displaced by me, and she's testing our new dynamic. She both desires my approval, yet wants to set firm boundaries. She feels threatened by me, and you know what? I can understand why. I bought a book. About being a stepdad." Kate scoffed at that, her hand gripped Ophelia's subtly.

"Money well spent, Jack." Kate responded, annoyed.

"Kate," Eleanor began, "Jack's cooking dinner tonight. Why don't you join us? Both of you?"

"Fine." Kate agreed. "On one condition."

"What's that?" Eleanor quizzed.

"I come up with the conversation topics." Kate answered and Jack chuckled so she gave him a mock one back.

"This is going to be a fun dinner." Ophelia commented, smiling awkwardly at the other couple. "I hope there isn't steak knives. I might stab myself."

"Uh, Phelia?"

"Sorry, I make jokes when I'm uncomfortable."

{480}