。21 。

-"But with coconuts

-
"But with coconuts."
-

Ophelia, Kate and Clint all breathed heavier as they sat down on the train. Kate leant her head on Ophelia's, her bow diagonally across her lap. The brown-eyed girl's head shot up suddenly.

"Oh, we gotta walk that dog."

"You're not wrong..." Clint spoke up and Ophelia looked to him.

"He's been cooped up all day. Not sure how long a dog can-"

"...call yourself one of the world's greatest archers." Clint said, not hearing anything she was saying. "You, too, Ophelia. From in the warehouse. You just need a bow and arrow."

"Oh, my God, you really think so?" Kate asked excitedly. "I won't lie-"

"Probably should walk the dog." Clint interrupted and Ophelia grinned in amusement at the two overlapping each other. "Don't you think? Been cooped up all day."

"That was the greatest conversation ever." Ophelia snorted, pushing back a piece of hair that had fallen from her ponytail.

-

"What's your favourite thing to do one Christmas, then?" Kate asked as she and Ophelia walked the dog together.

"I haven't really done much for Christmases, in all honestly." Ophelia mumbled back, thinking over what she had done while travelling. "Ooh, but when I was in Mexico, I think, I drank out of coconuts for the entire day."

"Maybe I should just plant a coconut tree in my apartment." Kate joked and she chuckled.

"What do you do, then?" Ophelia questioned.

"We usually open presents first then have lunch. The rest of the day is spent playing games and drinking. We don't have any set traditions." Kate shrugged. "But I guess Jack's gonna be involved with the day now."

"He's your mums fiancé, love, he's gonna be involved." Ophelia said softly and Kate sighed, Pizza Dog wagging his tail excitedly as he walked. "You'll be fine. I know you don't like him, but it'll be okay."

"Hm, yeah, fine. I'm probably overreacting." Kate muttered and Ophelia nudged their shoulders.

"You're not. Things have gotta be difficult with a new person coming into your family. I wouldn't be easy going if I was in your shoes." Ophelia assured. "Not literally. It's a metaphor. I mean, you do have nice sho-"

"I know what you meant, Phelia." Kate chuckled.

"And if you find the evening oh so hard to go through, I can whisk you away into a different room." Ophelia smiled widely as Kate grinned up at her. "But with coconuts."

"Which ones?" Kate quizzed flirtatiously.

"The ones you drink out of." Ophelia said, confused at her tone. "Did you not wanna do that? I make a good cocktail... I see what you did. Never mind."

Kate snorted at her in amusement, smiling stupidly as Ophelia linked her fingers with hers, swinging their arms as they walked. Pressing a kiss to Kate's temple, they started to walk back to Kate's aunt's apartment where Clint was.

-

"Hey, Clint." Kate greeted, Ophelia closing the door behind the, both as Clint stood at the sink, a packet of peas on the back of his neck. His phone then rang.

"Hey, hey, babe." Clint said.

"Hi, Daddy." Nathaniel replied.

"Hey, listen, uh, I can't really talk right now, uh, 'cause look... Maybe... Do you have time to text? Can you text?" Clint asked. "Can you text me?"

"Clint, Clint, Clint." Kate repeated, walking over to him while Ophelia grabbed a pad and pen.

"What?" Clint questioned but Ophelia held up the pad and he read 'little boy'. "Nathaniel? Nathaniel, what are you... What are you doin', buddy? Is everything okay? Where's Mama?"

"She's still asleep." Nathaniel answered. "I'm so bored."

"Look, there's a... there might be a little delay, buddy." Clint told him.  "It's kind of a bad connection."

Ophelia held up the pad again: everyone asleep he's bored

"Oh, you-you're bored." Clint stuttered, chuckling. "Yeah, you're the early bird. Hey, bud, I miss you. Why don't you go get some breakfast and read a book or something 'till Mama wakes up?"

"What's the point of even reading a book?" Nathaniel asked and Ophelia started to write again. "Are you coming home tonight? It's Christmas movie marathon."

Home tonight for movies? Ophelia wrote and Clint read it.

"Uh, yeah, it's... Tonight is the movie marathon night, that's right. Um..." Clint trailed off. "I really wish I could be there with you, buddy. Uh, you know how much I love that. Um, but I'm not gonna make it. But I think I'll be back in the next day or so. Yeah, we'll be in time for our ugly Christmas sweater party. You ready for that?" He didn't say anything and Kate shrugged when he looked expectantly at them. "Nathaniel? W... Buddy?"

"It's okay if you can't come home for Christmas, Daddy." Nathaniel said, saddened and Ophelia started to write, her and Kate feeling very guilty as they listened. "We understand."

"Oh, boy, I'm... I tell you, I miss you so much." Clint sighed.

Says it's ok if you can't be home for Christmas, Ophelia wrote, Clint reading it before he looked down.

"Um, I'm gonna be there, buddy." Clint responded. "I... You know I'm gonna be there, like I said, right? Um, I'm so happy to hear your voice. Daddy's gotta go, okay? I love you."

"Love you, Daddy." Nathaniel replied.

"I love you more." Clint added. "Bye-bye." He ended the call and looked between the two women. "Thank you."

"Yeah." Kate nodded, Ophelia taking her hand and leading her away as Clint leant on the sink, sad.

{895}