1

❝ Let me out so I can have chicken ❞

Chapter one
episode one

---———————---

Guleum sat down in a dimly lit room, where many opened and half opened packages were scattered around her small bedroom

Guleum sat down in a dimly lit room, where many opened and half opened packages were scattered around her small bedroom. The light from the moon outside was the only source of light and was the only thing keeping her awake.

The crumbled up pictures and large opened boxes was like a playground for rodents that had ran wild as Guleum sat still, barely breathing at that point.

It was the only place she could afford.

Just like her room, Her mind was messy.

Her half open eyes stared off into the darkest corner of the room where her eyes felt the most comfort on.

It was only 5pm and had not eaten any dinner yet but her eyes wants to rest, her mind wants to see her vibrant dreams, and her body wants to collapse.

Her eyes got more and more blurry by the second and the next thing she knows is that she's in her dream realm.

Her dreams screamed food! chicken, to be specific. She's surrounded by various flavours of chicken, going on to regular to extremely spicy. She can feel her mouth water by the thought of it.

“Let me out so I can have chicken” she muttered to herself as she stood still in the middle of the chicken breast crowd that wore tuxedos, dresses, and pants.

Awakening from her dreams, she scanned her small apartment and saw the clock wasn't even hanging on the wall anymore.

Shattered with pieces of glass all over and yet it was still able to work, displaying 5:48pm.
Perfect time for chicken, she thought.

Putting only a blazer on, she left her apartment and onto a chicken restaurant near her building. The breeze is colder today.

Her arms wrapped around her body as she wished that she wore something thicker.
The Cheongsan's place wasn't so far away anyways and she's getting closer and closer by every step.

The door chime chimed as she bolted open the glass doors. Infront of her are Cheongsan's group of friends. Most of their names aren't in Guleum's name list well, except Onjo.

It's pretty well known that Cheongsan and Onjo are a thing. They do make a pretty cute couple afterall.

Guleum stopped to a halt as all of their eyes focused on her. She could feel their eyes scan her up and down before turning their heads away except for Cheongsan.

“Oh, Guleum!” Cheongsan's mother called from the kitchen. Her eyes didn't move though. It was still fixated on the group that is silently eating in the middle of the room.

20 people is better than 4. It's you and them and they can look at you whenever, compared to 20 where they can look at other people if that makes sense.
Atmosphere tend to get more awkward with less people as supposed to more.

“take a seat, take a seat!” Mrs. Lee added as she drags a chair next to the counter. Her smile was the only thing that lighting the room up. Just like the moon to her room.

The group started murmuring.
Little do they know that it was loud enough for her to hear.

“isn't she that theatre kid?” The girl beside Onjo whispered to the group.

Guleum waddled her legs to the table Mrs. Lee was pointing to. Cheongsan's eyes followed her, obviously wanting to say something like a casual greeting.

He instead pulled the chair on the table next to him, indicating that she should sit there instead. She motioned her hand no before mouthing ‘take out’ to him.

After flashing a small smile, she turned to the counter and ordered a bucket of the new spicy chicken. “You're not staying?” Cheongsan's dad asked. Guleum nodded yes before sitting on a chair near the counter, trying to stay away as far as possible from the group of friends.

She couldn't help but glance though.
Oh how she wished to have a similar group of friends.

“Here you go Darling! Do you need someone to walk you home?” Mrs. Lee asked but Guleum refused as she doesn't want to interrupt their precious hangout time.

“I’m fine” she politely declined.
“it's dangerous for ladies to walk home these days! Why don't Cheongsan walk you home?” She gently held her hands.

“No, I'm goo-” Guleum was immediately cut off
“Cheongsan, dear, could you walk Guleum home?” She just smiled after his mom just called him out followed by a bow as his mom let her hands go.

“I was alright but thank you!” She tried to be as grateful as possible as this family had taught her warmth and genuine care.

“aight!” Cheongsan immediately stood up and walked towards Guleum. The two awkwardly looked at each other before Cheongsan grabbed the plastic bag from Guleum's hand.

“I'll be right back” he announced to his group as he quickly left the counter and onto the glass doors. Guleum followed only after giving them a bow as an apology for taking their friend away.

“I'm sorry” Guleum said to Cheongsan who was waiting by the door. “It's not problem,” he smiled “ladies first” added, pushing open the door for her.

They had a conversation after that. It was obvious even from the inside for the group to notice.

“They have good chemistry” I-sak told the group.