Chapter 15 - Draw the Curtain

A blizzard moved in the night before the oncoming battle. Most of the alliance were outside in the dark fooling around in the snow while also training for the next day. Rose and Kate chatted in the living room on the couch while Edward contributed on the recliner. Rose and Kate shared stories they experienced from the last time they seen each other. Kate recalled how she fought three Grizzly bears at once back home. Rose would rebuttal with how she lived through a rogue attack on her own. Edward laughed inside when he realized Rose fabricated their experience two months earlier. The way Rose and Kate shared their stories, they seemed like they changed them up to make them sound more impressive. Edward even caught Rose taking some of his and Alice's experiences and turning them into her own. Rose couldn't recall when it happened, but the relaxed argument eventually fell into a more casual conversation.

Edward was mostly quiet. It wasn't until Rose and Kate got on the topic of books did he make an excuse to go out and join the others outside. Edward and Rose exchanged glowing smiles before the former left her alone with Kate. Once the door slid shut, Kate looked at Rose with an intrigued smile. "What?" Rose asked. "How long has that been going on?" Kate muttered. Rose laughed briefly. "You're imagining things." she replied. Kate lightly backhanded Rose's arm. "I don't think I am," she started. "Did you notice he was staring at you the entire time he was in here? He usually stares at me when I visit, but he didn't even bat an eye at me."

Rose genuinely hadn't noticed Edward watching her. She wanted to keep the bait just above Kate's head to keep her reaching. "How did he look at me?" she asked. Kate grinned her beautiful smile. "Like all women want to be looked at." she answered softly. Rose felt a fluttering in her body. She felt like she was floating on a cloud designed specifically for her. 

"About a month and a half." she answered Kate's initial question. Kate smiled with her mouth in the shape of an 'o'. "So did you break up with Emmett then?" she questioned. Rose's smile faded and her joyous feeling started to die. "I didn't feel the need to." she replied after a brief silence. Kate stared at her dumbfounded. "You didn't feel the need to? Where did that come from?" she implied. Rose shrugged. "It's not something that I thought about," Rose said. "I mean I've been so infatuated with Edward; I don't even see Emmett as my man anymore."

Kate was surprised to hear that. She certainly knew what it was like to have male company, but since she got with Garrett, she never disregarded him for anyone else. Garrett, the name that rang in her mind made her fall silent. Thud!

Garrett had thrown a snowball at the window. He waved gleefully at Kate. Kate half-smiled and forced a wave. When Garrett went out of sight, Kate sighed. "I take it not everything is going great between you and him?" Rose asked concerningly. Kate moistened her lips. "It's not that, he's just gotten boring. I don't feel close to him. Maybe we were meant to be friends." she explained. Rose took Kate's hand. "Then decide if he's worth it." she affirmed with similar words Carlisle told her months before. Kate smiled and hugged her best friend. 

Another thud was heard upstairs in Emmett and Rose's room. Rose and Kate initially thought that someone had thrown another snowball on the upstairs window - but when the sound of soft moaning could be heard creeping down the hallway, Rose picked up on Bella. She marched upstairs to her room. She kicked the door in just in time to see Emmett fly off of Bella on the bed. Rose stared in disbelief. Bella? Really? She didn't know how to feel. On one hand she felt like she couldn't judge, she has been sleeping with Edward for a while. But on the other hand, her and Emmett aren't officially broken up, he was still cheating on her.

"Rosalie, it's not what it looks like!" Bella and Emmett managed to say in sync. Rose's loud thoughts could be heard outside, prompting Edward to come in and see what was happening. A dark colour filled Edward's eyes when he saw the sight ahead of him. He was already hurt by Bella once; he didn't need it again. His attention turned to Emmett, and the colour grew even darker. "I can't say I'm shocked," he growled. "But we're not the only ones feeling that way tonight. It hasn't been just you that's been unfaithful."

He turned to Rose with a decision-making look on his face. Rose wasn't a mind-reader, but she knew what Edward was thinking. 

Edward leaned down and kissed Rose. Rose reciprocated the gesture. Watching his girl make out with Edward lit a fire underneath him. Without warning, Emmett rushed Edward. Edward dodged the attack and jumped out the window into the snowy forest night. He heard the sound of Emmett pursuing him with fury. Edward wasn't a coward. He waited until they were a good distance away from the house before ultimately turning around and slamming into Emmett's chest with his forearm. Emmett crashed into the snow hard. Edward didn't let Emmett recover from the impact. He started throwing punches on Emmett's face. Over and over again, Edward couldn't stop. He hurt Rose more than she hurt him. With each passing millisecond, Edward would strengthen his punches when Rose was on his mind. 

Emmett used his superior strength to kick Edward off of him. He kipped up in time to dodge another forearm by Edward. In a sudden jerk of his leg, Edward was sent into the snow by Emmett. Edward was picked up by his pants and shirt forcefully and was thrown into a nearby tree. The tree fell after a snap. Edward bounced off on impact back into the snow.

Shouting from Carlisle was heard followed by Liam, Vladimir and Bella holding Emmett away from Edward. Rose and Kate kept Edward at Emmett's bay. 

Carlisle scolded his boys and told them it doesn't matter what it was they were fighting about; they could kill each other if they lived through tomorrow. However, when Edward told Carlisle what exactly "it" was, he ended up playing Jerry Springer. He took Edward, Rose, Emmett and Bella home and helped them resolve the conflict. Rose subsequently broke up with Emmett. He showed little sympathy. He announced that after tomorrow, Bella, Renesmee, Jacob and himself were going to Canada to live away from the Cullens. 

It was visibly hard on Carlisle, but he accepted Emmett's choice. Rose still felt hurt, but she was happy now that she and Edward could be open about their relationship. It felt nice to be able to kiss him in front of everyone. It made Edward feel even better too. He wasn't a man of Shakespearian style speech, so kissing Rose screamed to the world that he loved her. He would die for her, maybe even literally.