chapter five

The idea of early March is both exciting and annoying. There's my birthday. Another year older, but yet still a time when I can't drive and must rely on those around me for transportation. But there's a downside. Soccer starts up, baseball some time later, and the air is still freezing cold because the groundhog saw his shadow yet again for another year.

Sometimes I stay for Laurance's practice. He's gotten quite the ego since he became captain of the soccer team in sophomore year. While I see this side of him, Vylad claims it doesn't appear that way. He acts like his position isn't real when they're on the field. Dante claims the same thing when it comes to Garroth, but I feel Dante is sometimes humbling Garroth because Dante started baseball in high school.

The coach calls for a water break, and I giggle watching them quicken their pace to the bleachers for water. Vylad looks up at me from my higher stance and smiles. His forehead glistens in sweat, and his chest is heething from lack of air. He's practically chugging water from his bottle.

I reach into my backpack for the extra water I packed for their practice this morning. "Who is picking you up from practice today?" I ask, handing over another bottle of water for him to fill.

"Garroth said he'll pick me up after practice. Though, I have to wait a few minutes because of his practice."

I nod, looking down at the math homework on my lap. I've stopped making silly mistakes. My answers line up with what's in the back of the book. My head seems clearer. Maybe it's from the clean air.

"I'll wait with you," I comment, flipping the page onto the backside for more room. These numbers hardly look like numbers anymore. "You wouldn't have to be alone."

Vylad smiles once more before a whistle goes off to alarm the boys of playtime resuming. He takes one final look at me before dashing back to the center of the field. Laurance looks over at me from his spot, and he lifts a hand for me to toss a water bottle his way. He thankfully catches it after I poorly throw it and walks my way. "What was that?"

"I told Vylad I'd wait with him after practice for when Garroth picks it up. Go, you'll get in trouble."

He rolls his eyes and swiftly turns around. I'm left alone to myself once again. The air may be cold, but my spirits aren't low.

°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

There's little walls around us to block off the wind. The temperature feels colder than it had at the bleachers. Vylad shivers slightly beside me as the warmth has worn off from him. He's vulnerable, like I am.

"The sweat doesn't help any," Vylad comments, chuckling to himself. His backpack stays on his back, and his little duffle bag of soccer supplies sitting next to him on the ground. All I have is my backpack to worry about.

Laurance has left me.

"It's like dumping water over the top of my head," I comment, glancing his way. "Sends shivers down my spine. Wipe it off, and maybe it wouldn't be as bad."

He wipes off his forehead, making a comment of it being something he's thought of once before. Vylad acts like it doesn't do anything to help the extra coolness, but I know he just doesn't want to admit defeat.

"You act like I haven't tried it before."

"And yet you do it anyway." I look around the area, the cold hurting when I breathe in. I know once I get into a warm place, my ears and nose will burn and be red. "Kandi. . . ah. . . thinks there are romantic feelings in the air because of the other night."

As wrong as it sounds, there's a bit of comfort knowing that my words aren't lies. They're just not a complete truth. I don't mention Garroth's feelings.

His eyebrows furrow together before he gives himself some time to think. "That's. . . weird of her to think." Vylad's words seem hesitant, but planned out.

"I dismissed it, but I can only imagine how many other things we've done that have given people false assumptions. Maybe we shouldn't do things like that anymore."

From the corner of my eye, I can see Garroth's car pulling closer to us. Vylad's head turns to it, and it makes his response rushed. But in the end, he agrees in confusion.

Garroth stops the car and Vylad goes into the passenger side seat. They have a small conversation before he looks at me in confusion.

"Laurance left her here," Vylad comments, looking at me from his window. My lips thin into a forced smile before I tighten my grasp on my backpack's straps. "You may as well invite her into the car. We both know she isn't going to ask for a ride and will walk."

I glare at him, my eyes narrowing into slits. I know I do that, but he doesn't have to out me on it. Reluctantly, I get into the backseat of Garroth's car in silence. I feel awkward. This is awkward.