chapter ten

It's weird sitting at lunch and seeing Dante sitting in his spot without a tray in front of him. We've offered him food by pushing our plates in front of him, but he declines each time. He insists he's waiting on a pizza he ordered.

"The school isn't going to allow a pizza delivery to you," Laurance says, rolling his eyes before nudging his nudging his tray to him. "Just eat before you pass out."

"Come on buddy," Garroth starts. "You need food in your system for practice."

"No, I have a pizza coming," he says, crossing his arms over his chest. The table begins to sound obnoxious noises from the vibrations coming from his phone. He gets up and walks out of the room.

The rest of us look at each other and roll our eyes. Lunch is nearly halfway orders and he actually ordered a pizza.

"You think he's just pretending he has a pizza because we ripped on him?" Vylad asks, bringing his head up from his phone screen. I look over to see him playing a game of Wordle. Today's word: Pause.

I can't help but giggle at this. Today is rubber nuggets day and mashed potatoes. Why do I call school chicken nuggets rubber nuggets? If I can lift a chicken nugget a few inches from the tray and drop it and it bounces off the tray to the table, it's made out of rubber.

And the mashed potatoes? Need to have good gravy. The bad gravy has no taste. Nasty shit.

Dante comes back in with a pizza box and cockily sits down in his spot. It basically forces a few of us to move over trays so he can sit it down. Vylad is practically sitting in my lap at this point. I'm halfway off my chair, and he's hallway on mine. At least we're done eating.

"I'll be damned," Laurance mumbles.

"What the hell?" Dante says, looking down at his opened pizza box. Kandi questions what's wrong, and I cross my arms over my chest. His pizza better be perfect because there's plastic up my ass. "Kandi, look at this."

He flips the box around, and Vylad leans back to prevent being hit in the face with cardboard. My eyes widen when I read the words "this may be cheesy, but go to prom with me?"

Laurance's neck is cranked over in curiosity to know what has been written, and my heart drops. I look up to see that Laurance had lost interest in the subject. 'I'm sorry,' I mouth to him.

Dante broke bro code.

"Sure, I don't see why not."

°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

I don't tell Kandi Laurance's plan. I don't tell her how he went to me and Cadenza for help and when it was the perfect time to present it. I don't tell her any of it.

Laurance doesn't utter a single word regarding prom.

"You have a study session with Garroth tonight?" Kandi asks, looking over to me.

There's annoyance for her at this moment. I know she didn't know, and I can't be mad at her for that. I'm mad at Dante. He knew. She could've said no.

"Yeah, there's a test tomorrow he wants to be prepared for."

She nods her head. We're sitting on the bleachers together. She decided she'd rather wait at Garroth's practice than wall home with Zane. I'm here because Garorth will just take me with him.

Their practices always start off boring. Tossing a ball back and forth for a warm up. Pitchers separating themselves with catchers for the exact reason at the end of the line. It's getting warmer. I've shed my thick skin of a winter coat for a spring jacket.

They decide on a small scrimmage and call for the two of us, asking us to keep track in case they don't. Kandi laughs at this and shakes her head, playfully sassing at them saying that wasn't her job.

They slowly divide into two little teams before playing a game of rock paper scissors to dictate who is home vs away.

Garorth's side manages to take the field first. It's small. It's a given when you spilt your single team in half.

I don't pay much attention to what's happening. There's a math assignment I want to get done before later. At least then I know it's less work to keep me up at night.

There's a ball that is overthrown and goes over the fence. It's near the side of the bleachers, and my eyes look down at it. Normally, one of the boys would jump the fence for the ball.

"Hey Blondie, mind grabbing that ball for me?"

I lift an eyebrow before rolling my eyes. I grumble and reach for the ball. I love how this is their practice, and I'm doing their work for them.

I glance at the ball in my hand, quickly confused. Slowly, it's turned around in my hand. There's writing.

I might strike out asking, but will you go to prom with me?

I giggle before looking up. Garroth is standing at the fence line, and I walk forward to get closer to him. The smile on my face refuses to go away.

"You convinced your team to help you?" I ask.

Garroth rubs the back of his neck with his hand before nodding. There's a soft hue of pink scattered across his cheeks. "Yeah, I did."

"I'd love to go with you."