chapter thirteen

"Vylad, what are you doing? You have practice today."

Vylad jogs over to me with his backpack slung over his shoulder. He gives me a charming smile before slowing his pace down into a walk to match mine. Our shoulders playfully bum together on the walk to my house. I didn't stay behind for any practices today.

"I decided to skip. Laurance understood. You've been distant lately. It's even worrying Laurance. I missed one practice. What are they going to do? Bench me?"

No, he's too good. Besides, I don't think the school wants to annoy Garte because the Ro'meave family donates a healthy sum to the school every year. And even though his relationship with Garte isn't the best, he still shares his last name and keeps up the reputation. A child prodigy only strengthens their overall appearance. And since they have two, it's even better.

"Laurance wouldn't let that happen. Especially because you're saving his 'poor sweet little sister.'"

We both roll our eyes at that. It's hard not to. I don't understand why Laurance has this image of me as a fragile bird where any mishandle will break my wing. I've been through hell and bounced back.

"It's being placed under the label 'little sibling' wonderful?" He jokes.

"The best."

We decide against going to my house. Instead, we go to his house. Zianna beams when she sees us, but she grows a little confused when Vylad walks in with me. There's a small conversation between the two before she decides she wants to make some cookies.

The two of us head up the stairs. They must have a lot of confidence that Vylad and I don't hook up in his room because the door is always shut. No one ever bothers to come and check up on us.

"Are you okay after Friday?"

I can't help but sigh. My posture slouches on his bed, hair framing my face. My backpack is laying on its side near my feet. "I'm alright. I'm not ill. I just wasn't expecting what happened. . . to happen."

"I wasn't expecting a phone call regarding it. Garroth doesn't like to talk about it. Our parents don't know either."

Zianna knocks on the door before entering. There isn't a fear of us being caught for anything. There's nothing to be caught for. She places a plate on the bedside table before tilting her head at the side of me. I'm asked if I'm okay, and I lie. She doesn't seem convinced and places her hand against my forehead to check for a fever. But after she confirms that I don't have one, she doesn't push any further and walks away after reassuring me that I'm always there if I need her.

Vylad reaches for a cookie, breaking it in half before nibbling on one part of it. He gives me the other, but I can't help but stare at it. The chocolate melts and rubs off on my fingers, leaving behind a brown mess. I take a small bite.

"Vylad, are you aware of what people think of us?"

He looks over at me. Vylad thinks for a moment before lowering his hand to his knee, resting it against his lap. "What exactly? How are we children playing in big kids territory? We think we're better than other people because of our intelligence?"

I shake my head. I'm aware of those. I'm aware of the views of us and how Laurance and Garroth protect us from a world of hurt. Why people want to be closer to us to get to them. How we're easy connections.

"No, that we're likely to end up together."

He falls silent once more, but nods. I feel a bit of relief that Vylad sees what I see. That the world isn't perfect and filled with rainbows and unicorns. He's not stupid to believe that nothing can go wrong.

He's not naive like I am.

"It is probable," Vylad says, shrugging. "I would be lying if I said I didn't see it happening."

I admit to him how I thought it was going to happen for a little while. How I could see it being a possibility, but not as strong as I thought of it being before. Maybe it's because of age. Or maybe, it's because I feel like my friendship will be ruined because of my relationship.

"I mean, I don't find it incredibly crazy that people think that way," Vylad states. His words seem awkward as they come out. "And I can see it coming true. . . Al, I-I do like you."

My breath hitches in my throat. I stand to my feet and take a step back. My lip shakes with my open mouth. There are words I could say, but I can't get them out. All I do is panic. "I-I need to go home. I forgot there were chores I needed to get done before my dad gets home." My words are fast and panicky. I sloppily sling my backpack over my shoulder to quicken my pace of leaving. "I'm so sorry, Vylad. I truly am."