epilogue

I've grown accustomed to the sound of a suitcase's wheels rolling against the sidewalk. Light conversation and quiet giggles following after. A squeeze of my hand as a reminder not to look down. It's been a long time since I was settled in one place for more than a month. What it's like to sleep in a bed that I call my own.

Vylad's hand breaks away from mine, but the warmth continues to linger. His hands are always cold, so I can't help but to wonder if it's my own warmth given back to me. He presses a kiss against the top of my head, having Kandi take my suitcase and carry on from my hands.

"You'll be back before dinner. Won't you?" Vylad asks, his eyes appearing vulnerable. We haven't been apart for quite some time now. I've grown used to him being by my side for so long.

I give him a brief nod, looking around my surroundings. "I'll count the houses as I go to be extra safe," I confirm, looking behind me at the line of houses. Vylad doesn't sound convinced by my words, but a hand on his shoulder by Kandi causes him to grow at ease.

Just a few houses down the street. Whatever number that may be.

I can't help but look back at the twins before walking down the street. It's almost mid-March at this point, and the sun still likes to set early in the day. A bright blue fills the sky, not yet replaced by other colors on its wheel. The address is screenshotted and plastered on my camera roll. It takes a double check before I click it off and stuff it in my pocket.

My eyes dart around the area. I wrap my jacket around my torso tighter before securing it with crossed arms. I look awkward, but I feel awkward. I've never been here before.

There's a moment of hesitation. I don't know if I should knock or ring the doorbell first. Would he hear a knock? Would the doorbell be too loud? I'm acting silly.

There isn't much time until the doorknob rattles on the other end. Knocking worked. Though, when it opens, it's not my brother there to greet me.

"Alex?"

"Garroth."

"What are you-what are you doing here?"

Two years. Three, if you count the entirety of college leading up to my final graduation party. I've never seen Garroth since then. Never spoken to him either. My feet haven't even touched dirt belonging to Phoenix Drop since the day I left. . . since the day we left. There weren't many days when my mind came across his name.

"We came back for a visit. I was going to see Laurance, but I think I have the wrong house."

Tension fills the surrounding air. We don't know what to say. Has it always been this awkward between us? Even sharing a breath with the same air feels wrong.

"This isn't the wrong house. We're roommates, but he's currently at work. Won't be back 'til later. But, baby brother's here?"

I nod in response.

In truth, he's grown older. His letterman's jacket has been discarded. Probably packed away in a box labeled "high school" memories. Or, Zianna has it hanging in his childhood closet, too precious to hide. Instead, he's wearing a blue jacket, less bulky than what it replaced. I don't think I've ever seen Garroth wear gloves for show without purpose. He's even tamed his hair. Long longer styled like a fuck boy's hairdo.

A chill travels up the bottom of my coat, causing me to squeeze the sides closer together. He takes notice of this, but there isn't a comment made.

"Is that a new coat?" he asks, his words spaced out.

"Ah, yeah. Vylad bought it for me while we were in Nice. I fell in love with it, but I wasn't going to pay for it with how much they were asking. Vylad didn't have any hesitation."

The wind begins to pick up. My hair is blown from behind my head and in front of my head. I lift my hand to tuck the loose strands behind my ear, but Garroth keeps his eyes glued on me and my actions.

"You're engaged?"

Another surprise too. Surprised me when it happened the last night we were in Paris. Vylad somehow managed to convince me to walk with him up the stairs, listening to me crying about how I was convinced we'd die. Somehow, like normal, I was fine once we were on level ground. It was my birthday. I turned around, and there he was.

"Um, I should-Do you want to come in?"

I shake my head. "N-No, I'm fine. I should be getting back anyway. Vylad will grow concerned if night has fallen before I'm in the house."

Garroth doesn't have much to say in response. Instead, we awkward state goodbyes before I'm trying to quickly walk down the sidewalk to the house I was just at. I question if I should knock here too, but I deem that to be silly and walk in.

Vylad looks up from the couch, and Kandi glances my way from her spot next to him.

"Did the conversation go well?" He asks.

"Was no one going to tell me Garroth lived there? Laurance has a job, apparently!"

Kandi's lips grow thin. "I knew there was something I forgot to mention."

Vylad sighs and goes to take my coat off of my shoulders. He lays it on his arm before wrapping his arms around me from behind. The story isn't long to tell, but it takes my breath away from me in pure shock.

"He matured. At least more than what he was in our sophomore year. I feel like I'm fourteen again."

There's a sound of disapproval from Vylad before he pecks my cheek. He disappears for a moment and places my coat on a hanger.

"Maybe we can start over," Kandi comments, shrugging before standing up. "Sounds like we all can use a drink."

I don't have time to argue with her over a drink. I'm too busy repeating her words in my head and soon out loud to notice. Vylad tries to sit me down to get rid of my frantic state. I expected my brother, not my future brother in love. He cuddles against me and mumbles sweet words that I smile from. He knows what to do at the right time to help calm me down.

Kandi comes back with two wine glasses in her hand, ignoring Vylad's outreached hand, and hands it to me. I swirl the liquid around in my glass before looking back up at Vylad and laughing at my silliness.

"You can always take the ring back."

"Nah, you make my life interesting."

°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

I find myself standing directly in front of the door I was at before. There's a hope inside me, there isn't going to be any more men to jump out at me saying they live with my brother too. For once, I'm not here looking for a conversation with my brother.

My knuckles hit the cold wood a few times before taking a step back. I could always retreat, but I don't. The curtain in the window beside me moves, but I shrug it off. The door soon opens, and Garroth is the one to answer it. He goes to say Laurance is at work, but I cut him off.

I stick my hand out, smiling. "Hi," I greet. "I'm Alex, Laurance's little sister."

"Al, what are you-"

"Want to start over?"

He hums out an answer, sounding unsure. It takes a few seconds before he appears to have an answer and nods.

Garroth places his hand in mine, shaking it.

"I'm Garroth, his best friend. Won't you come in?"

"I'd love to."