The Treaty

Under the dark gray skies, the lightning strikes sharply and was followed by the loud booming of thunder. Only the occasional howling of the wind would be heard outside.

Inside the classical style common room adorned with expensive golds and diamonds, Eleanor, the Young Lady of Beaumont, was sitting quietly while watching her parents talk with the other party.

"Lord Barclay, what brought you here?" Her father, Duke Alexander Beaumont asked the guest in front of them. Although he was smiling, the nervousness in his voice was still evident.

"Your grace, please forgive our unannounced visit. We're here to talk about the treaty between humans and us, Vampires, that the both parties agreed on decade of years ago."

Her father smile's became frozen. He worriedly glanced at her before welcoming the visitors to take a seat.

"Your grace, the condition stated in the treaty that the noble family as the representative of humans, should let their daughter marry the Vampire Elder's eldest son." He said calmly.

"But that agreement was made by my father and he was long gone. You know that our lives were very limited. Unlike yours." Her father explained.

Eleanor continue to just listen to the conversation they are having. Her gazed darted to the young man sitting beside the head of the brood. Since Vampires don't age, she wonder what his age really was.

He has a slender figure. His skin was pale. His ginger hair was slicked back and no trace of emotions would be seen in his face. He looks dashing. But the thought that he is a vampire who sucks blood to live on, Eleanor can't help but shiver.

Arius Barclay felt the stares that the girl was giving him. He shot his gazed at her.

Her natural brown wavy hair reaches until her small waist. Her almond shaped eyes looks very alluring. Her rosy skin was impeccable. She was really worthy to be his wife and carry his future children.

"That's right. But back then, the conditions was not imposed because your father did not have a daughter to marry. But the case is different now. Your family has finally had a daughter."

Eleanor knows where this is going. Ever since she was a child, she had already heard of this. In order to maintain a harmony between humans and vampires, her grandfather agreed to establish a treaty with them.

All those years, their family did not have a daughter so the terms written in the treaty were put on hold. She was the first daughter to have ever been born decades of years after.

"We can still maintain peace even if my daughter and your son will not get married right? We have all been living in harmony for so long. My daughter was still very young. She just turned twenty two this year." Duke Beaumont said while holding his wife's hand.

"Your grace, in the war between vampires and humans, our clan has lost so many members. Although we are very strong, never age and could not die easily, we have become less in numbers. You know very well that females in our family can't bear a child. So this marriage is the key to keep our bloodline alive."

Duke Beaumont kept silence. He never wanted to make his beautiful daughter carry the burden that his father made in order for them to live in peace. But if he breaks the agreement, their people would be in danger. He can't think clearly at all!

"I'll give you time to decide until before the next full moon. We will be going first then, your grace." With that, the man stood up and started to walk away. The young man follows him behind.

"My darling, what should we do?" The Duchess, Emali Beaumont asked worriedly as she held her daughter's hands. She was so worried to let her daughter marry into that kind of family. Various rumors about that family has been flying around for years.

They said that they are heartless, that they didn't even blink an eye when killing. They are living in seclusion until now. She couldn't put a finger to what made them appear again.

No matter how fancy and powerful that vampire clan is, they don't know what is happening behind those big mansion wall. Marrying her daughter in that family is like throwing her daughter in the lion's den. She could not accept that.

"Don't worry, I will think of a way. I can't let our daughter be the bargaining chip of this agreement." Duke Beaumont said in daze.

Meanwhile, the visit to set the wedding has reached the ears of the people including the childhood best friend of Lady Eleanor, Duke Caelen Hale.

He was the victor of the war against the enemy faction that tried to steal the crown. He is also currently the youngest duke. Well loved by the people for his breath-taking look, gentle and approachable demeanor. Many noble families dreamt about marrying their daughter into his family.

The power and influence that his family holds are almost on par with the power of the Beaumont family. Both of their families were the sworn allies of the royal family. Though the Beaumont still holds the highest power next to the crown because of the old duke Beaumont participation to the success of the treaty.

When he heard the rumors, he cancelled all his appointments. How could they let Eleanor marry into that kind of family? It was like handing her head in the guillotine. How crazy enough they must be to go through it?

He hurriedly rode the carriage and ask his coachman to immediately go to the Beaumont Residence.

After traveling for almost half a day, he finally reached the destination. Looks like the rumors are true since the whole residence is in chaos.

He saw the servants worried faces and the low, secret whispering to each other.

He strode passed them and quickly went directly to the drawing room to announce his visit and his wish to talk to the Young Lady of the house.