Meetings

After a few hours, the Marquis had received a reply to the letter he sent to the palace earlier. It was approved.

He hurriedly took his cape hanging on the back of his chair and immediately walk out of his office.

As he was going down their stairs, he already asked their servant to fetch his horse from the stables and get it ready for departure.

His sister's wedding is tomorrow. There's no time for dilly-dallying. He had to do something today if he wanted to stop the union tomorrow.

He clicked his tongue in disapproval.

He had reached the Palace before sundown. Hearing his arrival, the Princess showed up to welcome him in.

"You're here?" The Princess greeted him, following her behind were her ladies-in-waiting stealing glances as they were checking out the well-groomed man infront of them.

"Greetings, Her Royal Highness of Iridescent." The Marquis respectfully greeted her as he bowed.

"I heard you requested an audience with my father." Princess Adrienne started their conversation as they walk along the hallway towards the Palace drawing room.

"Yes. I had something I wanted to discuss with him."

The silence enveloped the two. For two people who are about to get married in the future, there were not even an ounce of affection nor sparks between them.

The Marquis is known for being quiet and serious all the time, so the Princess has been accustomed to this kind of conversation.

The Princess knew that he was just being polite and courteous as she's his fianceé. For the past 7 years, he never showed an interest to get to know her more.
Maybe if she wasn't his fianceé, he wouldn't even talk or throw her a glance.

For the Princess, Marquis Ezra had always been beyond her reached.
"Your highness, I have to get going now. I will visit you some other time."

"Then please be on your way."

The Princess just stared at the back of the Marquis as he was going away, farther and farther from where she stood.

"He didn't even looked back." She muttered under her breath.

Meanwhile, The Maquis had finally reached the Palace's drawing room.

The servants served him an expensive tea that was so hard to acquire unless you have power and connections.

"His Majesty, the sun of the empire, has arrived." Hearing this, he stood up to give a proper greeting.

"Greetings, Your Majesty." He kneeled down.

"Hoho! You don't need to do that when it was just two alone, please stand up." The King gave a heartily laugh.

The Marquis stood up and waited for the King to take his seat.

King Bethelbert had aged well.

Despite the noticeable wrinkles in the corner of his eyes and his long blonde hair, the aura he was exuding screams that he had been through a lot of experience that had made him stronger and wiser.

"I think I might know why you had asked to meet with me.." The King started the conversation.

"Yes, Your Majesty. It was about Elle," the Marquis paused for a moment, wondering what choices of words he needed to say. "Your Majesty, Is it possible to cancel the wedding?"

The King sighed; fiddled with his long beard that had reached his stomach.

"It is possible but I am not certain what would be the consequences by doing so."

Marquis Ezra clenched his fists that was resting on his lap.

He knew that too. He knew that very well. Just like how he was tied with the marriage with the Princess, his sister was the same. He was just hoping for some kind of other possibilities.

"Then, Your Majesty, could you please allow me to visit my sister before her wedding?"

The King smiled and nodded.

"Of course. I'll let them know about your arrival."

"Thank you. Long live, Our Majesty, the Sun of the Empire." He bowed and eventually bid his farewell.

Ezra was on his way out of the Palace when he crossed path with Duke Caelen.

"Big brother! What are you doing here?" The young Duke smiled brightly at him.

"Caelen, have you been well?"

Marquis smiled back and patted the Duke's back as they hugged in a friendly manner.

The two decided to sit down and catch up a little in the Palace garden which was now blooming in beautiful roses and camelias.

"I heard that you got back but I was out of town doing an official business so I couldn't come to your welcoming banquet. By the way, have you heard about Elle?" Sadness was hinted in the Duke's tone.

The Marquis nodded.

"Seems like I couldn't do anything about it either. But I will be paying her a visit before her wedding, maybe I can still change her mind."

Duke Caelen immediately looked at him hearing that then eagerly asked, "Really? Can I come with you then?"

Looking at the eagerness in the Duke's eyes, the Marquis laughed a little.

"Sure, but I will be leaving before the sunrise." He then tapped the Duke's shoulder and stood up.

"Alright, I'll come to your residence before that then."

Before eventually walking away, the Marquis said something to the Young Duke.

"You know, it would have been way much better if you're the one my sister is marrying."

Although shocked, Caelen's eyes lit up hearing that.

"Really? I am honored. I wished it was me too." Ezra didn't hear the latter of what the Duke had said because he was too preoccupied about his sister's wedding that is only a day away.

The sun has already set when he had reached their residence. He got down from his horse and put it on the stables and fed it.

When he entered their manor, he was welcomed by Butler Blackladder and their Head maid, Ila.

"Welcome back, My Lord. Have you eaten yet?" Ila asked as they follow along behind him.

"Not yet. How about Mother and Father?" He replied as he was giving his cape to their Butler.

"They are already on the dining table waiting for dinner to be prepared shortly," Ila reported.

The Marquis nodded and headed straight to the dining room but immediately stop before reaching the door.

"Edmund, Please prepare my things. I will be visiting Elle tomorrow."

"Understood," Mr. Blackladder replied as he retreats to get the job done.