pt. 9: the trial

"Come on, honey pot! Put some pep in your step!"

You grumbled at the sickening cheer in the two-toned teddy's voice as you trudged your way down the hall with a very visible slump in your posture. Beside you, (kub) hobbled silently beside you, holding your paw as you were lead to the infamous trial room.

Even if you were excited you found that it was actually really hard to keep a joyful air when you know you're about to re-enter the same room that got you got voted into being damned to this state.

"As much as I want to, I don't exactly have the motivation to do so!" You replied, a mocking sweetness in your voice. Monokuma caught your snark, but instead of giving into his very slight irritation, he tipped his head to the side cutely, into a feigned look of innocence. "Is that so?" Monokuma asked, his voice not quite matching his appearance. "Well in that case, I could easily switch on the submissive setting to perk you right up!"

Submissive setting..!?

You looked over at him, and with a start, saw that his red eye was already starting to illuminate.

"O-On second thought!" You suddenly snapped upright, your beady eye going wide in alarm and nonexistent shoulders stiffening in fear. "All of a sudden I'm aching to see some good debates getting tossed around!" You exclaimed with forced enthusiasm as you scooped up (kub) into your arms and briskly made your way into the trial room.

You've gone weeks without the sickening submissive spells due to "tolerable behavior". You sure as hell aren't willing to break that streak just yet.

Mono saw through the act, but nevertheless chuckled to himself in malicious amusement. "That's what I thought!~"

"Mama, what does papa mean by submissive mode?" (Kub) asked innocently with a tip of his head.

"I, uh..." if you could, you'd be biting your lip in hesitance. "I'll... tell you when you're older."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You all entered the trial room, you taking your spot beside monodam while holding (kub) on your hip like you usually did, while Kuma sat above everyone in his big judge's throne like the Headmaster prick he is. Part of you still found it to be ridiculous that he got a throne and you didn't.

Buuut, that wasn't important at the moment.

As you watched everyone else take their spots at their respective podiums, you saw the two vacant ones in the far back.

One for Rantaro and one... for you.

A young human girl with (color) hair.

Both had red Xs painted over the faces.

You stared at your portrait, almost certain that your (color) eyes stare back at you from behind the red paint.

You forgot your eyes even were (color) to begin with.

...come to think of it, you even forgot your hair was (length) and (color). Or that you had (color) skin.

You started to tremble as you realized with a dawning dread...

...that there was a very real possibility that your memories had a time limit in this plush body. Your human memories.

There was a possibility that you could forget your humanity completely...

Oh God, you literally had the threat of losing yourself.

Your panic was cut short when you felt (kub) tighten his embrace on you slightly. "Are you okay, mommy?"

"I..." you looked down at the little bear kub's face. Even if he was a plush, here as still a very genuine concern in his visage. "I-I'm fine... hon." You assured him softly.

"AHEM!" Monokuma suddenly exclaimed making you flinch. "Let's proceed with our trial! We present our arguments for the culprit and vote accordingly, blah blah blah..." he waved his paw boredly. "Oh you all know the rules. Just ask my dear mono(name)!"

He started to laugh at his joke as the students wilted on the spot, as they were reminded of the predicament they voted you into.

"It's... not like we wanted to do it..." Kaede claimed weakly.

If you weren't stuck with such a cute plush's face, you're scowl would've been intimidating. But all's you managed to muster was an adorable pout. Something that didn't go unnoticed by Oma as he giggled softly.

"Hey look on the bright side, at least she became cuter than she was originally!" Oma chirped with a mocking cheerfulness in his voice.

"Yeah, thanks kokichi, real glad you're in the room." You growled flatly, earning a light snicker from the boy. "The pleasure is mine."

"Alright let's just shut up and get to debating!" Kuma cut in, sounding impatient. Probably didn't like like "cute" comment towards you. You groaned inwardly, but begrudgingly thought about the situation.

"Where do we even start with this?" Kaito grunted, rubbing the back of his head in indignation.

"Well, think about it," you started up unwittingly. "First you gotta wonder who was the most likely to be at the scene of the crime?"

"You're not supposed to be helping them, mommy!" Monophanie scolded in her cloying voice.

"Hey, we gotta get things moving somehow!" You shot back, setting your paw on your hip.

"Ya see, my dear children, your mother has the right idea!" Monokuma chirped, leaning over his seat to pat your head roughly.

You of course fought back the urge to swat the mocking bear's paw away, and opted to just give a soft sigh of acceptance.

"Good job, mama." (Kub) patted your shoulder, which made you feel a genuine warmth yet again.

"You know..." Oma's condescending voice suddenly spoke up, which caught everyone's attention. You saw that his usual sh!t-eating grin had somehow become dark as he looked over at you, a suspicious glint in his eye.

"How do we know it wasn't little mono(name) herself?"

...he said what now?
~~~~~~~~~~

...yes. this book's still alive, somewhat.

I said before; even if I fall out of a Fandom or lose interest, I'll still try to make sure we either finish it or not end on a cliffhanger.