pt. 8: life with kubz...

"would you lot PLEASE stop bickering to each other for 5 minutes?"

numbly, you stood with a tired, exasperated slouch in your posture as the kubs, began their usual bantering with one another. it's only been a few days with them and it's very clear to you that they can't go 5 seconds without being crude to one another. granted, they are more considerate towards monophanie and MAYBE you, but overall, they didn't give a hoot about each other. mostly, monokid and/or monosuke would start a quarrel, flinging passive aggressive insults to one another while monotaro mostly instigated, and monophanie made feeble attempts at defusing the situation. all the while monodam was his normal, quiet self while (kub) just clung to your side in fear. you made attempts at defusing the situation, but this always upsetted monosuke.

"ah, ma!" he groaned, adjusting his spectacles. "you don't understand! we MUST be at each other's throats!" you grunted, placing your paw on your hip. "says who!?" monosuke suddenly stomped his foot childishly, glaring at you with a sickeningly cute scowl. "I says!" he exclaimed, his voice raised into an obnoxious pitch, making (kub) shrink and press himself closer to your thigh. monosuke then regained his "composure", pressing his paw beneath his spectacles, taking his usual smug stance. "but... I shouldn't suspect any different, considering you aren't a REAL monokuma. you or the sorry excuse clinging to your thigh." you scoffed indignantly, and shake your head. "Leave (kub) out of this, ya little gremlin.." you growled contemptuously. At that point, he just ignored you, and continued his banter with monokid, the subject barely making anymore sense as it dragged on and on while monotaro and monophanie bickered between themselves and monodam just sat quietly to himself. all the while you watched in exasperation, rubbing the head of your youngest son in an effort to ease his frail nerves.

"uhm... mommy?" you felt a small tug on your bikini bottom, and you looked down to see little (kub) looking up at you, with sad, confused eyes. oh gods, his voice was music to your ears compared to the other brittle bear bots. "yeah, kiddo?" he looked down, tracing circles over your thigh, looking away for a moment, hesitating for a moment, before braving a look back up at you. "what does... monosuke mean by us... not being real monokumas..?" you looked down at him pensively, a strong wave of sympathy washing over you. you stared into his sad, shiny black eye, reminding you that he was unwittingly brought into the world in this cursed body. he doesn't deserve to live like this... "mama?" his voice shook you from your thoughts, and you quickly pulled him closer to you. "I'll uh... tell you when you're older." you replied softly, to which he responded by nodding his head somberly.

if... he ever gets older.

BAM!

"RISE AND SHINE, URSINES!" at once, the bedroom door was flung open, causing most of you to jump in startlement, while monophanie swooned as her "father" waltzed in, looking more giddy than usual. "what is it, kuma?" you asked dryly, quite used to this kind of act now. after a little snicker, he spoke up. "well, my dear honeypot,"

the words he spoke made your metaphoric blood run cold.

"there's finally a murder to investigate!"