Chapter 15

Maya saw Jacob staring at an old radio with a sullen face while tapping a screw driver on his hand. She looked around the garage to see a the place full of old things. It even had ratty old cot, a small refrigerator and a dirty microwave.

Maya walked in slowly, "Jacob."

Jacob's eyes snapped at her and he stood up quickly upon seeing her walk in.

Jacob blinked, "Maya? What? What are you doing here?"

Maya placed her bag on an old car seat and looked at Jacob.

Maya, "I'm here because you have avoided me. In school as well as when I run patrols. For the past eight days."

Jacob looked away not wanting to look into her eyes.

Maya looked around, "What have you been doing so far?"

Jacob placed the screw driver on the table, "Nothing much."

Maya, "Then why didn't you come to school?" 

Jacob sighed, "Cause of patrols. How can I be at school when there's leeches everywhere."

Maya sat on the chair and Jacob looked at her surprised.

Maya, "You run the least patrol. Most of us go to school or work and still run. Why can't you do the same?"

Jacob, "It's not that simple Maya."

Maya, "So you don't care about graduating?" 

Jacob rolled his eyes, "It doesn't matter. Why do you care?"

Maya smiled, "I don't. But you dad does. Do you know that?" 

Jacob sighed, "He's fine Maya. He's got fishing and football games to watch."

Maya crossed her legs and arms, "He's living in a pigsty and you're living shambles."

Jacob looked at her stunned, "What do you mean?"